Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover] Find public Playlists that contain Song/Artist

My theory (not rocket science):

If someone else's playlist includes a song or artists that I like, there is a good change that I will enjoy the rest of their playlist. 

Currently, you can only search for public playlists via playlist name.  Considering that most people do not name their playlists to accurately reflect the type of music it contains, I believe that the current search functionality is quite limited. 

Spotify should have functionality to search for public playlists that contain a song/artist.  I think would be immensly helpful for music discovery.  

Best of luck, 

Ryan

P.S. - Down the line, it would be interesting to see "similarity scores" between two playlists.  Could be quite interesting for finding new music.  

Updated on 2019-10-31

Hey folks.

Thanks again for all your votes and comments.
We're still keeping an eye on this idea, but at this time we don't have an update.

Comments
cellarmist

I've been generally happy with Spotify, but the lack of this feature is a constant frustration. It seems like it would be easy enough to implement, so I can only imagine that it's an intentional design decision to not have it available. Please, please consider changing you mind. The public playlists option is effectively useless right now (search by playlist title what?) and being able to search by song/artist would suddenly open up this tremendous aspect of the community.

lpeake

Definitely need this. Should be a priority feature!

orville72

For the love of God someone explain Spotify's reasoning behind not offering this.  Could they own too much Apple stock? Do they secretly hate their users?  Are they scared of success?  All kidding aside, there is somenone higher up at Spotify that has decided that searchable playlists are a bad idea.  I hope this person has a miserable life.

SplunkD

This would be great. 

I was searching for a track that 'sounded like' Chosen One by Art vs Science.... I forgot who it was by and the title, but remembered the similar retro, 80's experimental voice vibe and kinda how it went. Frustrated over my memory blank, I tried a whole bunch of search-for-similar-music websites, including spotify, radio, pandora, and a few other less known sites, all to no avail. 

In the end I just punted...tried Daft Punk off the top of my head and BOOM....Doin it Right was track 12 on the Random Access Memories album. 
I thought holy **bleep**...why was it so hard to search for this...yet in the end ridiculous that I found it so easily myself. 

AntonioNungaray

Searching playlists by a contained song is way more useful than by their name when is about looking for playlists to follow.
Please add this request to your backlog.

Asterisk7

+1

Binary_Division

As an artist myself, it would be interesting to see this feature!

ZippAce

NEED THIS!!! Thats how i find new good songs. To bad its not possible on spotify right now 😕

petr7

I want to listen playlists that contain 'Radiohead -  Jigsaw Falling Into Place'. 

petr7

''It's not rocket science'' -ryeguy_24

(2012)