Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover] Find public Playlists that contain Song/Artist

My theory (not rocket science):

If someone else's playlist includes a song or artists that I like, there is a good change that I will enjoy the rest of their playlist. 

Currently, you can only search for public playlists via playlist name.  Considering that most people do not name their playlists to accurately reflect the type of music it contains, I believe that the current search functionality is quite limited. 

Spotify should have functionality to search for public playlists that contain a song/artist.  I think would be immensly helpful for music discovery.  

Best of luck, 

Ryan

P.S. - Down the line, it would be interesting to see "similarity scores" between two playlists.  Could be quite interesting for finding new music.  

Updated on 2019-10-31

Hey folks.

Thanks again for all your votes and comments.
We're still keeping an eye on this idea, but at this time we don't have an update.

Comments
gareth8

As a user since 2010, Search on Spotify has always been woeful. If I search for, say, Smith...that is what I want to see results for first. Not Will Smith, not Sam Smith, not The Smiths. Smith.

As for the issue at hand, well, it's never going to be implemented, is it?

AdamBevers

I need help finding a song with the word plan in the title, the cover of the song is green with a cross. I was on my release radar and then I logged off for a little and then I get back on and can’t find the song. It’s rap btw.

DonSolare
sounds like X by Ed Sheran?
Darrepac

Sounds a "so evident" features!

If you like a song, it makes sense that other songs from public playlist that contains this song will interest you....

dusabe2012

Come on Spotify, why would this not be on your roadmap, is it due to copy write claim by another company? this idea is absolutely golden, sometimes you guys make me want to switch to iTunes out of sheer frustration.

nn2158

As a DJ, I would find this feature massively helpful. It would probably save me hours every month in finding the exact style tracks that I'm looking for.

0xBABA

great idea! this must be implemented! is there an API that can be used to do something like that on the side? i dont mind having a go at it... 

kickfroggy

I'd also love to be able to search just my playlists for where I've already put a specific song. This could be a related or independent feature. It would be awesome to be able to right click on a song (playing from my queue or a public playlist that rotates songs), and show what, if any, of my playlists I might have it in. Familiar songs I can't always remember if I've already saved them somewhere. While yes, I can add them again, and I may or may not get a dupe notice to clue me in, it's still nice to know where I might have put it the first time so I can see what other songs I put with it.

Glankoz

It’s so disheartening that I just went to look for this feature and saw it first posted back in 2013. It’s almost 2018. Five years to develop this functionality? Can’t imagine it would be that difficult. Spotify better hope that iTunes, Google Play, Amazon, or one of the thousand other music services doesn’t—or hasn’t—already developed this.  But I hope that Spotify does because otherwise I love it. I would even pay more for this feature. Anyone with business sense at Spotify listening?

digitek

Hi All,

Just wanted to update that another poster linked to chartmetric.io, and it's been a great help in this.  They scrape Spotify to find exactly this information - playlists that feature any given track - and provide links out to spotify to play or save it further.  I haven't checked to see if they have a mobile app yet, but they were responsive over email when I asked about how their web page worked.  While we wait for Spotify to step up and add this to their native UI, I would recommend using chartmetric who at least maximizes the Spotify service APIs that expose this.