Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Other] 2-Factor Authentication

Spotify should, as a matter of good practice and safety, implement 2-step authentication.

Previously, Spotify enabled the option to log out other sessions other than the current session.

This would prevent hackers from stealing accounts, which would additionaly lead to less account hacks and less work for Spotify employees to assist in these cases.

More info: https://twofactorauth.org

Updated on 2018-10-18

Hi everyone, thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange. We’re ready to mark this idea as ‘Under Consideration’. 

We are currently investigating various solutions for account security for our users, e.g. 2-factor authentication. Any news regarding user-facing security updates will be posted to this thread as a status change.

If you'd like further information about protecting your account please visit our Support Site here.

Comments
jaybadz

I just wanted to add that this is a needed feature.

Dudefish

I recently noticed my account being used elsewhere - granted, my password was old, but it was cracked with a bot and it will continue to be cracked.

The information available to this 'hacker', was my email address, my postal code and my date of birth, along with much more if I had added them to my profile. These are very valuable things in the hands of someone maliciously accessing accounts. Two step authentication would go a very long way on any platform that still uses things like 'username' and password combos. Once someone has your username, much like old games on the internet, it's over for your account safety. 

Luckily, spotify has very nice support staff so I had my account returned to me, but because I cannot change my username, all this pleb has to do is keep cracking my account with his/her bot, which no doubt will be cracking thousands of accounts simultaneously. 

sikori17

+1000 to this. Recently had the email for my account changed without my authorization, which never would have been possible with this.

bhogben

+1001 spotify 2fa. I got hacked the other day.

HTom

Two-factor auth. is must-have feature! Also add verification, when someone tries to change your email / password, please! There is a lot of users with premium / family account / linked credit card... so some additional protection is necessary.

Hey, Spotify!

Welcome to 2017; this thread is now 2 years old. Your app security is 0 of 5 according to helpnetsecurity - https://www.helpnetsecurity.com/2017/08/10/password-power-rankings/. What is listed on your security page is insufficient and mostly unenforced; I'm not going to care about your latest feature if my account gets hacked. The service and functionality is great but, in 2017, unprotected apps are just too dangerous.

msephton

The earliest request that I have found for Spotify to support 2FA actually predates this thread by years: 2013 (over 4 years ago). Spotify closed all older threads in favour of this younger one. Go figure.

Someone was using my spotify account (I still have no idea how, since I have 2 factor on facebook and I use facebook for logins).

I just canceled my subscription until this gets implemented on spotify, since the alternative (google music) has it.

danny_248

2FA. Great idea. A must for securing any account web facing. 

Melmoe84

I couldn't agree more, I love Spotify but I'm shocked that they do not have a better system in place for protecting their customer's accounts. It seems like this issue has happened to A LOT of other people (including myself the other day).

I also noticed that this suggestion for 2-factor auth was originally posted in 2015 and NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE? That's ridiculous!!! If Spotify doesn't make security changes to protect their customers ASAP then I'll defininitely be switching to a different service.