Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Other] 2-Factor Authentication

Spotify should, as a matter of good practice and safety, implement 2-step authentication.

Previously, Spotify enabled the option to log out other sessions other than the current session.

This would prevent hackers from stealing accounts, which would additionaly lead to less account hacks and less work for Spotify employees to assist in these cases.

More info: https://twofactorauth.org

Updated on 2018-10-18

Hi everyone, thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange. We’re ready to mark this idea as ‘Under Consideration’. 

We are currently investigating various solutions for account security for our users, e.g. 2-factor authentication. Any news regarding user-facing security updates will be posted to this thread as a status change.

If you'd like further information about protecting your account please visit our Support Site here.

Comments
stribley

Given my level of frustration after being hacked right now, I 100% agree. I changed both my email and password, yet this clown is still stopping my music and playing trash repeatedly. 

Wubwubwooble
Repeatedly Rick Roll your hacker at full volume.
Skyhunter

It's 2022 y'all, over 7 years since this thread was started and Spotify still has yet to implement this basic security feature. Obviously they don't care about the account security of their (PAYING) customers. Makes me wonder how secure their platform is as a whole. How am I supposed to trust them with my personal data?

Wubwubwooble
I wouldn't. That's why I use YouTube Music now 🙂
Jace_PandaBear

AJR8

It amuses me to think that this platform still hasn't adopted MFA!

This was submitted here  back in 2015, and the last status update was in 2018! Three years after it was submitted, with no reasonable explanation as to why it wasn't adopted.

"""Updated on 2018-10-18 

Hi everyone, thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange. We’re ready to mark this idea as ‘Under Consideration’. """

Spotify has had multiple security breaches over the past few years

* //www.bitdefender.co.uk/blog/hotforsecurity/spotify-hit-by-yet-another-data-leak 

* //threatpost.com/spotify-credential-stuffing-cyberattack/163672

It has become evidently clear that security is not a priority for either your own platform and more so for your customers. Relying on another platform for your security (Facebook) is not an excuse to not have this natively part of Spotify.

Benefits of MFA.

• It provides more layers of security than 2FA. ...
  • It assures consumer identity. ...
  • It meets regulatory compliances. ...
  • It comes with easy implementation. ...
  • It complies with Single Sign-On (SSO) solutions. ...
  • It adds next-level security, even remotely. ...
  • It is an effective cybersecurity solution.

Feel free to start here...

* //github.com/google/google-authenticator 

* //stackoverflow.com/questions/53413527/is-there-a-google-authenticator-api 

Regards

AJ

vinuk

I don't think spotify cares about it. Even with 7K+ requests to this feature they don't see it as high priority feature. 7 years is too long to implement a simple security feature. 

MalikP_EU

@ vinuk They dont .. few pages back i wrote their answer "... its not legal requirement ..."  -> they are not going to implement it...

Lucyfer666

Das sind nur dümmlicher Ausreden Seitens Spotify. 

Denen ist die sichheriet der eigenen User einfach komplett egal und die zahlenden User sind gleich doppelt und dreifach gearscht.

Nach nunmehr 8 Jahren gibt's immernoch keine 2FA und Spotify lässt die User weiterhin im Regen stehen und lügt denen mit einer Ignoranz in die Fresse das es nicht mehr feierlich ist! 

MalikP_EU

Sorry i do not want to be rude but only who is stupid is user paying for this ... I switched like 3 years ago to Apple music. Its not ideal. Its bugged as well. BUT it has muuuuch better security and has much better integration in my BMW car. 🙂 

Switch it asap .. its your money. you are only one who can decide who will have them.