[Security] 2-Factor Authentication

Spotify should, as a matter of good practice and safety, implement 2-step authentication.

Previously, Spotify enabled the option to log out other sessions other than the current session.

This would prevent hackers from stealing accounts, which would additionaly lead to less account hacks and less work for Spotify employees to assist in these cases.

More info: https://twofactorauth.org

Updated on 2018-10-18

Hi everyone, thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange. We’re ready to mark this idea as ‘Under Consideration’. 

We are currently investigating various solutions for account security for our users, e.g. 2-factor authentication. Any news regarding user-facing security updates will be posted to this thread as a status change.

If you'd like further information about protecting your account please visit our Support Site here.

Comments

Make it so.

I just got hacked and then hacked once again after resetting my password. This 2 step needs to happen.

Seeing how there are a lot of complains about hacked accounts on this forum this should be one of your top priorities

I just got my Spotify hacked and they deleted all my playlists that I built up for years, but I was an idiot, I didn't realise that you could back up playlists. Anyway, I got them all back, I depend on spotify music to relieve stress and lift my mood and I use spotify mobile for my workouts so I was not happy when I saw all my playlists gone. Two step verification would be a great idea. :-]

I've read that people hack the accounts and re sale the access. Please Spotify implement the two steps verification.

I would like to see Time based One Time Passwords with support for Google Authenticator, Authy and Last Pass Authenticator. It is a shame Spotify still does not have such a basic security feature.

This is absolutely ridiculous how Spotify will not support two-factor authentication. It is not only standard but also become a necessity for any Internet service. I shouldn't have to continuously manage my own security by signing out of all sessions and changing my password whenever I find someone randomly listening on my account. If this is not going to be implemented then I will have to switch streaming music providers to another company that takes their user's security seriously.

I think that Multi-Factor Authentication is very important and that you should reconsider your position when it comes to that.

Most places/ sites have 2 factor authentication why not Spotify?? Do you guys not want the best protection possible for user's accounts??

Music Fan

It's shocking that Spotify doesn't back 2FA.

Why would they decide not to implement 2FA? The only reason i can think of is the cost of development, which shouldn't be the reason why the implementation should be held back.