Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Other] 2-Factor Authentication

Spotify should, as a matter of good practice and safety, implement 2-step authentication.

Previously, Spotify enabled the option to log out other sessions other than the current session.

This would prevent hackers from stealing accounts, which would additionaly lead to less account hacks and less work for Spotify employees to assist in these cases.

More info: https://twofactorauth.org

Updated on 2018-10-18

Hi everyone, thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange. We’re ready to mark this idea as ‘Under Consideration’. 

We are currently investigating various solutions for account security for our users, e.g. 2-factor authentication. Any news regarding user-facing security updates will be posted to this thread as a status change.

If you'd like further information about protecting your account please visit our Support Site here.

Comments

Spotify removed offline device management in the account settings and you can no longer view what devices have accses to your account anymore wow seriously wow i will never spend another dime on spotify again idc if you even add 2fa seriously **bleep** spotify no wonder user accounts get **bleep**ed what a shady greedy company

alebret3

I very much like janaVTL's idea of using ambiant noise as a second factor of authentication, the problem is that you may be login in at your home, or at work, or on the plane, in which the ambiant noise isn't the same. Nothing beats the good 'ol 2FA from Google which uses a key and the current time to generate a code that changes every 30sec. 

Gurdmundy

Not having two-factor at this point is irresponsible and negligent. 

JRNDMusic

It would be awesome to get this sorted, as many accounts get hacked 😞

geraldbrent1

Looking into a solution?! FFS Spotify, there's an established way to parse OTP keys using QR codes that's been around for god knows how long. I have Yubikeys with all of my authentication codes loaded on them, and most were sourced from standard "add to iPhone" codes for Google Authenticator. Step it up.

Ahmed_Elrayes

waiting for it!

ParentalControl

Looks like all spotify has done has added a new feature that sends you a email notification that you have logged in from a new device. 

Alex_M1

This is a great idea and I really don't know why it wasn't already added. 

Matt7991

We need this. My account has been hacked like 3 times now. I shouldn't have to keep changing my password. This is ridiculous.

This is only "Under Consideration"? Account security should be NUMBER ONE on your list of implementation ideas, by taking soooo long to even "Consider" account security as a priority, you are basically telling your customers that collecting their money is more important than protecting them from being hacked. Get 2-factor authentication setup or lose your customers, it's as simple as that.