Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Other] 2-Factor Authentication

Spotify should, as a matter of good practice and safety, implement 2-step authentication.

Previously, Spotify enabled the option to log out other sessions other than the current session.

This would prevent hackers from stealing accounts, which would additionaly lead to less account hacks and less work for Spotify employees to assist in these cases.

More info: https://twofactorauth.org

Updated on 2018-10-18

Hi everyone, thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange. We’re ready to mark this idea as ‘Under Consideration’. 

We are currently investigating various solutions for account security for our users, e.g. 2-factor authentication. Any news regarding user-facing security updates will be posted to this thread as a status change.

If you'd like further information about protecting your account please visit our Support Site here.

Comments
riqmariz

that's a must have for almost any important app

AeroFury

How is this still not implemented?!

I'm seriously considering changing to a different service because of this.

My girlfriend received security e-mails from Spotify of people from Russia, USA, China logging in to her account.

I work in IT so I've gone through the necessary steps with her to fix this.

We changed the password to a new password that has never been used on any other site and logged out all the active sessions from Spotify.

We changed every single other password including hotmail, gmail, facebook, ... to unique passwords that have never been used.

When opening spotify we were asked to log in again with the new password.

A couple of hours later we received another security mail from Spotify telling us a user had logged in from China. Even after changing the password. This makes no sense to me and feels like there is a security breach being exploited somewhere that makes users that have been logged in before not having to log in again. Perhaps through 3rd party apps or web player, but those have all been disconnected from the profile settings, so again this makes no sense at all.

I've been doing some research and have found multiple reports from users with the exact same problem (in this community, on reddit, ...), dating back to 2015. It's outrageous that this issue hasn't been fixed.

I expect more from a company like Spotify and have always liked their services, but this is a real letdown.

agregory23

Just got a random login from Russia.  Changed my password and forced logouts, but this would be a nice feature to have.

wi1lywonka
Spotify you’re garbage if you don’t add this. Quit adding fluff and take
your user’s security seriously.
Goatie

So it's now 2020 and still no 2FA option available for Spotify?  When are you going to start caring about user's security?

SutcliffonFire

I've been getting multiple emails a day concerning log-ins from parts of the world I have never been to. It started since the beginning of the quarantine due to Covid-19; I'm assuming its due to the fact now everyone gets to have the time to stay at home and try and get into diff accounts.

As much as changing passwords, disabling app access, logging out of all sessions help, it still doesn't necessarily PROTECT the account. We can't just keep changing it when others will eventually access it without a barrier to stop them.

Please seriously consider allowing for 2-factor authentication and hopefully implement it soon.

Hope everyone also stays safe during the quarantine.

mericda

the year is 2020...

indomie

This post is 5 years ago, and still no 2fa? Come on, we've already paid for this service. Nowadays passwords ain't enough to protect our accounts. Please implement at least with a Google Authenticator.

juniper7997

Please get this going ASAP!! My account has been hacked before. And, just last night, I got an email that someone signed in to their Spotify account using an email address I own. That email address is not associated with my current Spotify account, so it was very perplexing and confusing to see someone sign in to "my account" from two different countries. 

2 step verification would filter this nonsense out! Unnecessary stress on the customer!

meegal

I am so tired of having to change my password and click "log out everywhere". I have had to do this so many times. Please implement this already.