Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Other] 2-Factor Authentication

Spotify should, as a matter of good practice and safety, implement 2-step authentication.

Previously, Spotify enabled the option to log out other sessions other than the current session.

This would prevent hackers from stealing accounts, which would additionaly lead to less account hacks and less work for Spotify employees to assist in these cases.

More info: https://twofactorauth.org

Updated on 2018-10-18

Hi everyone, thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange. We’re ready to mark this idea as ‘Under Consideration’. 

We are currently investigating various solutions for account security for our users, e.g. 2-factor authentication. Any news regarding user-facing security updates will be posted to this thread as a status change.

If you'd like further information about protecting your account please visit our Support Site here.

Comments
Wubwubwooble
I know, that was the joke **bleep**
manutfly

I was tired of waiting the multiple verification, so i moved to apple music and i am pretty happy with the service, is quite similar to spotify except it has better security.

Midnight1200
I used YouTube red. I like the no ad service anyway, might as well use it
for more than that with their music app, plus with Google it’s more secure
(provided they don’t actually sell your info or anything, but who doesn’t
have their doubts anymore) and it’s a similar selection. The only
difference is shuffle but I never used it much with Spotify.
LdsJonBoy

It is quite ridiculous that Spotify doesn't have 2FA yet. It is now considered "the standard" for any major website or service. Spotify representatives love to claim that "security of your accounts remains Spotify's top priority". This is simply false without AT LEAST having 2-Factor Authentication. Simply sending an email when someone logs in to our accounts from across the world is not enough. Most of us are not "Globetrotters," signing on in multiple countries all over the place. 
Please do better Spotify...

Midnight1200
The only major security they have is the “sign out on all devices” button
but that’s barely any good because it doesn’t sign out of two types of
devices, namely Sony. I doubt a lot of people are breaking into other
accounts on their PlayStations but still, a slightly smarter hacker would
note that and take well advantage of it. Other than that it’s the bare
bones change my password thing but if I remember correctly I don’t think
that will always close out other accounts. It may but like I said I don’t
remember entirely if it does or not.

I can't believe this suggestion was brought up 7 years ago and it's still "under consideration". Absolutely pathetic. Well consider this, I just signed up less than a week ago and my account has already been hacked.

Get with the times Spotify, everybody uses MFA/TFA. If my account gets breached again I'm cancelling.

Ysalamiri

Hey look!

Google just published a blog post in which they mention how they saw a 50% decrease in hacked accounts since obligating 2FA: https://blog.google/technology/safety-security/reducing-account-hijacking/

Spotify, please get**bleep** together. 2FA should have been an option a decade ago.

FuzNuts

Why is this taking so long? It should have been added ages ago.

JustLikeHunny

It’s 2022… and we still don’t have two step verification. This is getting ridiculous Spotify. At this point I’m fully switching over to Apple Music.

Wubwubwooble
Ngl I wouldn't even give it the chance to get hacked again, what if you
can't recover your info and you just keep getting charged for a Premium you
can't even use?