Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Other] 2-Factor Authentication

Spotify should, as a matter of good practice and safety, implement 2-step authentication.

Previously, Spotify enabled the option to log out other sessions other than the current session.

This would prevent hackers from stealing accounts, which would additionaly lead to less account hacks and less work for Spotify employees to assist in these cases.

More info: https://twofactorauth.org

Updated on 2018-10-18

Hi everyone, thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange. We’re ready to mark this idea as ‘Under Consideration’. 

We are currently investigating various solutions for account security for our users, e.g. 2-factor authentication. Any news regarding user-facing security updates will be posted to this thread as a status change.

If you'd like further information about protecting your account please visit our Support Site here.

Comments
GJX
Still can't BELIEVE this hasn't been added, it's like borderline zero
effort to PROTECT YOUR PAYING CUSTOMERS!!!
Adab92

A QR code for web log in ( like whatsapp has) would also be nice 😄 Not sure where or how to post this idea so I will post it here. Hope it gets seen further

no_guitar

Do any of the other competitors offer 2fa? I'm seriously considering cancelling my- and my wife's premium because I feel Spotfify is not secure enough. 

ctjnguyen

... Are you serious? This is a basic safety/security feature. How can somebody come in and change emails and passwords without being confirmed that they are the original user? Makes me reconsider whether or not Spotify is keeping our credit card information and passwords safe and encrypted... This is so basic. I had no idea until I was recently made a victim; I'm very disappointed.

Also, this was posted in 2015... And people have been having trouble with this in the past. 

What other competitors are out there that take our security more seriously...

zombdra

I would LOVE for Spotify accounts to be more secure especially since it's 2019, and 2-factor authentication is utilized more often than not. I also would like to point out that my account (premium member for 5 years) was compromised back in 2017. Someone got into my account, upgraded to a family plan adding other people to my plan, and attempted to lock me out of my own account. I can't believe that such a large company doesn't take its user-base's security seriously.

Samsmith2

I had posted this as a petition on change.org and quoted ctjnguyen's comment on this.

Please, people, Spotify is not taking this seriously. This idea has been there for years.

Let's see how many people consider it urgent.

https://www.change.org/p/spotify-spotify-please-add-two-factor-authentication

kylclrk

I signed the petition.

Samsmith2

Please share this to your friends and quote this comment to let new people see it!

WE CAN DO THIS

@Samsmith2 wrote:

I had posted this as a petition on change.org and quoted ctjnguyen's comment on this.

Please, people, Spotify is not taking this seriously. This idea has been there for years.

Let's see how many people consider it urgent.

https://www.change.org/p/spotify-spotify-please-add-two-factor-authentication

wesmuis

Yay I'm back! Let's make a tradition of posting in this thread every year.

It's been 6 years since the original thread about this issue. 6 years. 2FA is no longer an "option we are open to explore" and other marketing and sales bs, 2FA is an absolute necessity and failing to comply is a "**bleep** you" to your customers.

If you think you won't get hacked, you're wrong.

I've switched to Apple Music simply because Spotify does not take security of my music seriously. I like spotify but I'll never think of switching back unless you guys try to take this seriously.

honda234

Australian Man Arrested for Selling $200K Worth of Stolen Spotify and Netflix Passwords

BYHANNAH LIFSHUTZ

A 21-year-old man living in Sydney, Australia was reportedly arrested on Tuesday for having over one million stolen Spotify, Nexflix, Hulu passwords on his website WickedGen.com. Australian police estimate that he made approximately $211,000 over the course of the two-year scam.

The FBI initially informed the Australian Federal Police (AFP) of Wicked Gen in 2018, given the 120,000 paid members the site reportedly had. The two entities then collaborated in a joint international cybercrime investigation to pinpoint the man responsible. Although the perpetrator was based out of Australia, the users who subscribed to the site were based across the globe, including the U.S. After obtaining a search warrant and arriving at the premises, the AFP seized, "electronic materials and various amounts of cryptocurrencies."

Spotify, Please stop this!