Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Other] 2-Factor Authentication

Spotify should, as a matter of good practice and safety, implement 2-step authentication.

Previously, Spotify enabled the option to log out other sessions other than the current session.

This would prevent hackers from stealing accounts, which would additionaly lead to less account hacks and less work for Spotify employees to assist in these cases.

More info: https://twofactorauth.org

Updated on 2018-10-18

Hi everyone, thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange. We’re ready to mark this idea as ‘Under Consideration’. 

We are currently investigating various solutions for account security for our users, e.g. 2-factor authentication. Any news regarding user-facing security updates will be posted to this thread as a status change.

If you'd like further information about protecting your account please visit our Support Site here.

Comments
wild_coast

How is 2FA *STILL* not a thing for Spotify. This lackluster approach to security is concerning, I'm seriously considering switching to Amazon Music because of Amazon's 2FA support. We're half way through 2021... 2FA should be the norm. Seriously. Shame.

dylansavage

I am actually in shock this isn't a feature yet. Fairly easy to implement and a vital part of any digital platform.

Zer0CooL

Yes please, my account was hacked while I was away and it was a nightmare. 2FA would have definitely helped with the brute force. This feature should be implemented already by now, majority of streaming service apps have this feature.

are_dee_zee

It's been almost 7 years... how on earth is this not enabled yet?  There are several very well trusted 2FA providers out there.   This is absolutely ridiculous that this feature is not implemented yet.

Sikm8

I find it crazy that this isn't a thing yet, it's 2021 and 2FA is a STANDARD security feature on all accounts I currently use, except for spotify and it seems that spotify is the only account of mine that's been "hacked". FFS Spotify, get**bleep** together, it's **bleep** embarrassing. 

ThorZ

Just wow. How on earth it is August 2021 and after seven years of been requested this basic security feature has still not been implemented? It is mind blowing.

I would want to ask the dev team or anyone representing them, what is the reason to not want to implement 2FA? Every serious service on the internet does offer it these days. The provided tools you continue naming again and again that you have in place so users can "help themselves" when suspicious activity is detected are just a band aid, none of them prevent the very real issue of account hacking.

How can a leader company like Spotify not offer a security measure as basic as this at this age and time? 

Elev8

"Under Consideration"...

Really?

Support for MFA has been a standard feature of practically all applications for at least the last 5 years, if not longer.

Indeed many applications force it, and have done so for ages.

Shocking that this is not already baked in to spotify, especially as accounts are linked to payment details.

My account here is regularly compromised with logins from suspicious geos, unrequested password resets etc.

Simply linking to a support article saying "Logout everywhere & reset your password" just does NOT cut it.

This is an awful omission and security hole in your product which should have been addressed years ago (you know... like when everybody else addressed it).

How on earth you can take people's money for subscriptions to a product with such an ancient security flaw still present is mind-boggling.

Come on Spotify! Join the rest of us in the 21st Century already...

kkruglov

It's 2021 and most popular music service doesn't support 2fa. Yay...

crostine

clearly it doesnt matter to spotify management if your account is lost, you know why bother with that its free money for them anyway

nell

Another year, still no 2FA. These are the attempted logins on my account from May to Sept 16 this year.  Several languages, sometimes several attempts per day - but at least once a week. Consistently. For YEARS now.

Just activate 2FA already. This is embarrassing for you. I've been a customer since 2008 and premium user since 2009. Listen to your customers!