Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Social] Block Followers

I believe there should be a way to block people that are following you on Spotify. When blocked, the user will automatically unfollow you and will not be able to find you, or view your public playlists.

Blocking should be possible via both username and email address.

Liam

Updated on 2021-11-16

Hi everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Ideas Exchange, and sharing your votes and comments.

We’re pleased to confirm that all users now have the option to block another user on Spotify. With this update, you can actively block another user across desktop and mobile devices, preventing them from being able to see listening activity, public playlists, or view profile pages.

Here’s how it works:

• When visiting another user’s profile, click on the   (...) button.
  • Select “Block” (or “Block User” on mobile) to block the user whose profile you are viewing.
  • This user will now be blocked and cannot access your page, public playlists or view your listening activity.
  • To unblock a user, click the Unblock option in the same menu.

We're always working hard to provide the best possible Spotify experience in a safe environment.

Please see here for more information.

Comments
magnatune

I have been stalked, and I have also had a broken heart and gone into complete overanalysis of someone else's listening habits.  Please help both stalkers and stalkees by adding this feature. Please.

Crl_

Still waiting...

can’t still block stalker. Maybe I should change to googleplaymusic?

missymoomoo

I EMAILED SPOTIFY, LET'S SEE WHAT HAPPENS

Dear Spotify Team,

Since March 2013 we have been asking to block unwanted followers (see below):

"[Social] Block Followers
Submitted by Liam on ‎2013-03-03 12:07 PM

I believe there should be a way to block people that are following you on Spotify. When blocked, the user will automatically unfollow you and will not be able to find you, or view your public playlists.

Liam

Updated on 2018-07-09

Hey folks.

We're changing this status to good idea.

We definitely think this is a strong idea, however it isn't in our current road map.
The teams behind our social features are aware that you're bringing your feedback here and we're working closely with them to bring forward all your comments and concerns.

If there are any updates on blocking Spotify followers we will let you know here first.

Thanks everyone!"

We have been waitting for this "feature." I am personally being stalked and I'm sure thousands more out there have the same problem. This needs to be taken of care of now. I just saw another community thread where Alex Jones was removed from Spotify within a month of it being requested and it less votes than the thread to remove followers. My point is, this should have been taken care of by now. You are not putting your listeners safety first. Please have the decency to work on this and make it a priority.

JJ5232

It's a joke. NOTHING IS BEING DONE TO THWART STALKERS. 

koolskeithk

I don't believe my ex deserves to see my good music taste, nor ever remember the lovesongs I sent to her while I listen to them, I wish I could block her

ssssiimmmm

Wild that this is the only solution - you have to make all of your social data secret to everyone to evade a stocker, an ex, or an abuser? This seems unethical on Spotify's part. I really hope they address this by simply allowing what every other social app (from Facebook to last.fm) allows their users to do. People should not have to close themselves off from all of their friends to hide from an abuser because of Spotify's laziness (or exploitation, as sharing music is business for them)

Ridiculous this hasn't been a feature since the beginning. A complete invasion of privacy and all customers should have an option on who can follow just like with every other social media network gives the option. Shocked that this was recommended in 2013 and only recently 'debated' now.  This privacy issue is enough for me to cancel my membership and delete my account. 

NVT

I am baffled that this isn't a planned feature let alone a feature from the original social rollout. Privacy seems like a pretty obvious thing to give your users....errrrr....

esdrinhassm

Concordo plenamente, as vezes temos que sempre está botando na seção particular para ter privacidade! Eu mesmo, tenho um seguidor que queria remover, pois fica criticanto as musicas que eu escuto ou fica jogando indiretas na frente dos outros. Deve ser muito bem pensada essa ferramenta. 

@Liam wrote:

Liam

lbunese

Make this a thing already, pretty please 🙂

I want this so bad now, I don't want to be stalked by anyone and I'd like to CONTROL who follows me.

btw, control is the keyword for this subject