Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Social] Block Followers

I believe there should be a way to block people that are following you on Spotify. When blocked, the user will automatically unfollow you and will not be able to find you, or view your public playlists.

Blocking should be possible via both username and email address.

Liam

Updated on 2021-11-16

Hi everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Ideas Exchange, and sharing your votes and comments.

We’re pleased to confirm that all users now have the option to block another user on Spotify. With this update, you can actively block another user across desktop and mobile devices, preventing them from being able to see listening activity, public playlists, or view profile pages.

Here’s how it works:

• When visiting another user’s profile, click on the   (...) button.
  • Select “Block” (or “Block User” on mobile) to block the user whose profile you are viewing.
  • This user will now be blocked and cannot access your page, public playlists or view your listening activity.
  • To unblock a user, click the Unblock option in the same menu.

We're always working hard to provide the best possible Spotify experience in a safe environment.

Please see here for more information.

Comments
zeyycskun

Keep ignoring this must-have feature that you call a "good idea" and we'll see how many premium users you'll be missing.

ddmzz_

It's 2021, over 11000 people have voted for this and there are almost 100 pages of comments.

People want there privacy fixed, because the internet gets more dangerous by the day.

It's time someone from Spotify reacts to this idea again and tells us it's going to be added in the next update.

WOK_

I’ve been following this for a couple of years now and still no change. Can everyone that gets an email notification from this comment, share this on your platforms, I feel like it’s going to take a lot more exposure for something to happen.

lovuline

I only logged in here because I want to say that PLEASE (!) add this feature- it makes me freaking out that some people are able to stalk a profile- I mean, I don't want to create a new account, just to be able to hide my profile/activities because of one annoying person- ey... come on. An idea like following on request, even the possibility to make a profile private so new people have to request following/being able to access the profile.

In my case the problem is, that many people are following me who I don't want that the know what I'm currently listening to- but I have some good friends which I want to show what I'm listening to- so there is only the possiblity- show listening activity or not- that's bad, in my opinion. ONLY THE POSSIBILITY OF REMOVAL a follower would make this situation better, because if the person isn't a hardcore stalker he/she could think you stopped using spotify, just with removing the person from followers. Blocking should also be possible, as a more consequent step of stalking.

Follow on request would be the best goal you could give us. I understand that this would be a ... huge.. interruption in the spotify UI, but... sometimes there is time to change also important things.

asillince

I can't believe this hasn't been implemented yet and it's been open since 2013! I'm sure that somewhere in this limitation it's a violation of privacy - particularly in Europe where the privacy laws are pretty strict. I'd like to see this added as soon as possible.

charzilla

Spotify is enacting newer features such as daily horoscope, but a board moderator can't even give an update on this. Since I posted a few months ago almost a thousand more votes have been cast in favor of this and I get a few emails daily typically about this from others posting comments. I think this is one of the first times I have felt truly neglected by a platform. Safety is more important than ever especially after the last year. I understand it is a big change, but Spotify acknowledging this would show that they value protecting their userbase. Toxic people are using the listening feature to follow victims and intimidate them. People have received emails detailing their listening history as a form of keeping tabs and it is scary and triggering.

Wendy5546

yea my ex is still following me. please let me block him lol

GtRB

At this point I'm considering quitting to stop giving money to a platform that cannot implement a BASIC social media feature.

+ as asillince mentioned, it might be worth digging into privacy laws. Given how strict they are nowadays, Spotify might be shooting themselves in a knee (knees?).

Please enable this feature!

31n_r-vjm0su7

7 years and the idea still here, what the **bleep** Spotify?