Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Social] Block Followers

I believe there should be a way to block people that are following you on Spotify. When blocked, the user will automatically unfollow you and will not be able to find you, or view your public playlists.

Blocking should be possible via both username and email address.

Liam

Updated on 2021-11-16

Hi everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Ideas Exchange, and sharing your votes and comments.

We’re pleased to confirm that all users now have the option to block another user on Spotify. With this update, you can actively block another user across desktop and mobile devices, preventing them from being able to see listening activity, public playlists, or view profile pages.

Here’s how it works:

• When visiting another user’s profile, click on the   (...) button.
  • Select “Block” (or “Block User” on mobile) to block the user whose profile you are viewing.
  • This user will now be blocked and cannot access your page, public playlists or view your listening activity.
  • To unblock a user, click the Unblock option in the same menu.

We're always working hard to provide the best possible Spotify experience in a safe environment.

Please see here for more information.

Comments
matik20

So what, we need to massively cancel our subscriptions to show them that we are unsatisfied?! There was almost no positive changes in last two years. UI is still bad, at this point propably I have to create a new account anyway, because one creepy follower won't stop following me, and stalking my friends[!!!] (Spotify should be sued for that) and also I'm seeing podcasts although I'm not listening to them at all.

SOFIALOU-GB

100% couldn’t agree more!! 
privacy and protection please that’s all we ask Spotify 

dyll-pickless

hey this thread is kinda really old but i'm just popping in to hopefully bring it back to spotify's attention! i'm currently followed by an ex-abuser of mine and it would be really nice if i could block them

ghimjireh

Come on, spotify, it's been 8 years since this post!!

Pleasepleaseplease implement this feature. We all need it.

ParentalControl

Looks like USA today call out Spotify on this Spotify nonsense. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2018/07/20/what-you-do-spotify-public-and-can-used-against-...

and more

https://www.engadget.com/2018-07-18-spotify-slowly-warms-up-to-user-blocking-feature.html

This was back in 2018. But seems like Spotify is more interested in Bologna UI features in 2021 then privacy and safety of children and minors or harassment victims.

What is even more absurd is that we CAN block "artists" but NOT "Followers".

And all we can do is mess with some privacy settings. https://www.forbes.com/sites/barrycollins/2020/04/22/how-to-hide-what-youre-listening-to-on-spotify/...

zigmas

I don't know... But when a feature this basic even gets a Change.org to try to make it happen, seems like it's something pretty vital for the app... My stalker is still on the watch for me. Now I've to be always on private mode for the sake of it.

So yeah, why don't we all sign this Change.org petition FROM 2015!!!!!

http://chng.it/Pr6Lb8C77m

Maybe it helps. Also share!

Lefterius666

I believe we should be able to block an account because:

1. You may not be interested in some users looking at your account.

2.  I know many stories of people being bullied because of their music taste which the solution could be blocking the bullies from seeing their playlists.

3. You may feel more comfy when blocking people you dont feel comfortable with.

charzilla

There's been another 100 comments since my last comment and the only thing that has publicly changed with this feature is there is literally a blue active symbol for users when they are online on the desktop app. So instead of implementing this feature, there is more attention put on users while active...a bat signal to stalkers/predators if you will.

I hope this is just a step in the rollout of the privacy/safety feature. I am honestly starting to become appalled at the blatant disregard of users. If something is finally in the works, it would benefit Spotify to acknowledge it. Very disappointed in customer service and integrity of Spotify.

lekkiduchem

holy shtify, spotify is worse than I thought

1080 comments

12.7k votes

8 YEARS 

to implement most basic social feature that takes no more than 100 lines of code in typical backend - that's basically a week of work for a single determined software engineer, and one week for QA engineer to test and A/B properly 

8 YEARS

32 MONTHS (~130 WORK WEEKS) since they acknowledged it's a "good idea".

I dunno, maybe they have no staff? Broke company? Project Managers hired from Fiver? "Busy" management?

_ps

lol 8 years is insane