Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Social] Block Followers

I believe there should be a way to block people that are following you on Spotify. When blocked, the user will automatically unfollow you and will not be able to find you, or view your public playlists.

Blocking should be possible via both username and email address.

Liam

Updated on 2021-11-16

Hi everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Ideas Exchange, and sharing your votes and comments.

We’re pleased to confirm that all users now have the option to block another user on Spotify. With this update, you can actively block another user across desktop and mobile devices, preventing them from being able to see listening activity, public playlists, or view profile pages.

Here’s how it works:

• When visiting another user’s profile, click on the   (...) button.
  • Select “Block” (or “Block User” on mobile) to block the user whose profile you are viewing.
  • This user will now be blocked and cannot access your page, public playlists or view your listening activity.
  • To unblock a user, click the Unblock option in the same menu.

We're always working hard to provide the best possible Spotify experience in a safe environment.

Please see here for more information.

Comments
fam_fam

How has this only been an idea... for 5 years?!?!? This is actually ridiculous. ANYTHING with social features should be created with privacy in mind. The fact that there is no block feature, which shouldn't be difficult AT ALL to implement, and, if it is difficult, should have been developed along with the follow feature, just shows how little this company cares about our privacy.

KMFH

wait wait wait..

You mean to to tell me blocking a user is not on spotify’s roadmap but LISTENING TO YOUR DNA IS?!!?!!!!! 

https://www.ancestry.com/cs/spotify

Zambies86

To whom it may concern: 

ALL SPOTIFY EMPLOYEES IF YOU REALLY CARE ABOUT YOUR USERS, PLEASE READ!!! 

I am having the same issue. Except I have A LEGAL PERMANT RESTRAINING ORDER on someone, and yet all I keep getting from your REPS is: "We will forward this to the proper channels." Nothing is ACTUALLY being done about it.... Now they have allowed my stalker access to mine, and my spouse's music lists. Despite begging them in the chat room for the past two days, I have been looking into other legal avenues. 

I WILL GET ON HERE AND BUG SOMEONE EVERYDAY UNTIL A BLOCK FEATURE IS ADDED.... IF THAT IS WHAT IT TAKES. SPOTIFY IS ENABLING VIOLENT PREDITORS, BY NOT ALLOWING US TO BLOCK UNWANTED FOLLOWERS!

I have blatently even told #Spotify, that if they refuse to protect my privacy online, I will find another music provider, and take my money else where. NOTHING.... Just that they will forward the information... NO NOT GOOD ENOUGH! PROTECT YOUR USERS, OR START TO SEE A DECLINE IN USER ACTIVITIES.... 

This woman has continually stalked us, threatned us, attacked me, followed me EVERYWHERE possible online, and now including spotify... The one place I go to get away, is with my music. And I can't even do that in peace now... ESPECIALLY KNOWING SHE'S ON MY FOLLOWER'S LIST!!! 

I cannot begin to tell you how frustrating this is. I have the court order in hand.... but yet they still BLATENTLY REFUSE TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT STALKERS ON SPOTIFY.... I'm seeing threads in the community, dating ALL THE WAY BACK TO 2012!!!! of other's begging for this feature as well. I mean... really?!?! It's apuling that Spotify doesn't care about our safety, or peace of mind on their muisc app.... WHY ARE WE HAVING TO BEG YOU FOR A BLOCK FEATURE!? CLEARLY YOU DON'T GAF ABOUT ANYONE'S SAFETY, OR PEACE OF MIND... I MEAN REALLY?! ARE YOU REALLY THAT DENSE THAT YOU ONLY CARE ABOUT COLLECTING OUR MONEY? 

So as long as they are supporting and enabling violent preditors, My money will no longer go into thier company. Maybe when they decide our money, is worth protecting our privacy over... MAYBE I might come back.... But SPOTIFY, blatently DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR SAFETY OR PEACE OF MIND.... All they seem to care about is TAKING OUR MONEY!!!! 

Zambies86

Maybe I should just start uploading my chats with spotify.... Because, they just straight up DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR PRIVACY.... DESPITE HAVING LEGAL DOCUMENTS, SAYING THIS PERSON CANNOT STALK ME.... ALL THEY SEEM TO CARE ABOUT IS THE MONEY. 

sendricardo

I don't even care about blocking, I just want to have the option of "deleting" people from my followers list. I am constantly being judged by the music I listen too and the private browsing option is only temporary. 

WOK_

Hi! Please make this possible as soon as you can. I wish that Spotify would import blocked contacts automatically if connected to Facebook. I've read so many comments and complaints of people stressing out and feeling unsafe because of someone unwanted following them. Of course you could always use the 'Private session' option, but I kind of chose Spotify so I could connect with my friends and explore new music through them. 

I hope you can find a solution to this issue shortly, since I'm also experiencing anxiety because of an unwanted follower.

iaraj

5+ years later and the only feedback we get is that "it's a good idea" ?? This is a very necessary idea. Please invest in doing this as soon as possible. Spotify might be the only platform with social capabilites that does not allow you to block people.

Thnk_Void

A very good idea indeed.

letsjustgosomew

Doesn’t have to be just blocking. Could be remove followers like Instagram and Facebook pages let you. Really important for privacy reasons.