Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Social] Friendship Playlists

Alright listen up, you are meeting someone for the first time or carpooling or you met a friend of a friend and how do you get to know them best? Through their music taste. In fact, you really want to be jamming out with them but you just don’t know what songs they like and you really don’t want that awkward silence when you know a song and they’re like.........uh......... I don’t know the words. What’s the solution you ask? A friendship playlist. You would find your friend on spotify and there would be a button next to their name that says “friendship playlist” which would automatically create a collaborative playlist consisting of all the songs you have both put on your playlists, 100% guaranteed bangin’ time while you both sing along to the songs that you both know!

Updated on 2021-10-16

Hi everyone!

We're happy to announce that this feature has now been implemented.

You now have the option to invite a friend to join a Blend playlist which will include songs you both enjoy 🙂

For more information be sure to check out the Newsroom blog and our FAQ

Happy listening 🎶

Top Answer
Gaweringo
Casual Listener

There is something in Spotify called Blend, which lets you send a link to someone and Spotify creates a Playlist of 50 songs that both of you should like. It's under Search -> Made for you -> Blend. It's still in Beta so idk if this is availible to everyone or just people that are in the beta program. But I still agree that a way to merge playlists or create a Blend without having to leave Spotify to send a link would be nice.

Comments
Mairoo

It should also be able to combine more than two people in one playlist - just like the family mix

bobloblaw123

Here is something I've been working on to compare music libraries with friends. It helps me see what they listen to that I don't and vice versa. You can have multiple friends join a group too.

https://musiii.ca

stanward2

@bobloblaw123

musiii.ca looks cool.  Lots of stuff there.  Very much what I am thinking this could be.  Now you just need a way to dynamically create a Spotify playlist from the list of tracks with the intersection setting on.  And, with way you have made this, you can also create a playlist of music that only one of you knows.  😎

Great work!  Thanks for sharing!!

-Stan

guillertal

Here some extra functionality:

Similarly to family mix, it would be nice to have an auto generated list of +2 friends.

When creating the list, the system can ask you which friends to add, and a list is created (same with chill and upbeat options). The list might be updated regularly based on new likes of the friends or when adding/removing a friend from the list. Multiple lists for different groups of friends should be an option. 

Naivatco

I was going to propose just that. I am glad I found this idea. This would be extremely useful if a group of friends are going on a road trip or are organising a party. Since most of listening is done usually on a single device in the car while driving, or connected to the sound system at a party, it would make a lot of sense to create a collaborative playlist so everyone could chip in and according to taste add songs to that roadtrip playlist.

soldier9599

This should be implemented in exactly the same way as Family Mix, just with the option to configure it to work with any users you follow.

Then it would synergize really well with Discovery Mode. Both features would feed off each other's success as a great way for anyone to automatically share music with or receive recommendations from whomever they want.

dominicabela

I'm working on an app that does this! Feel free to sign up here.

akuhn

Brilliant idea, though I'd also like something like going to a person's profile offer the ability to "add to existing friendship playlist" so you can have a car full of people, a set of roommates, etc.

AdamDam

I'd like to see this idea implemented as well; it would eliminate having to search for the friend's favorite artists or songs on one's own Spotify account, and would allow relatively equal streaming of both friends' musical preferences, which would be great when you're hanging out together!

tomjvk

Hello,

I also had this kind of idea and made a spotify web-app that compares your songs with that of your friend and let's you create a playlist from the songs you have in common!

http://comparewithme.herokuapp.com/

Let me know what you think!

Still working on design (: