Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Social] Party Mode with DJ that approves songs

A mode where there is one "DJ" who has ultimate control over the music being played while others can join the party and suggest songs they want to be played through the app.  The "DJ" can decide if/when to play the suggested songs.

Updated on 2020-06-25

Hi everyone!
Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.
We're marking this as a 'Good Idea'.
Please know your feedback is reaching the internal teams at Spotify, and they're aware of the votes around this idea. We'll continue to check out the comments here, too.
If there are any updates, we'll let you know.
Thanks

Comments
ladansmix

I'm assuming this "party mode" would allow users who are not in the same location to listen to music at the same time, correct? We need ways to have virtual dance parties during quarantine (and beyond!) where you can listen to music from your own device in real time, rather than through Zoom.

86smopuiM

This is not a new idea.  It has been requested since 2012 and has over 37 pages of comments asking for it, and almost 5,000 upvotes:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Social-Real-Time-quot-Listen-with-Friend-s-quot/idc-p/48...

joster22

Great idea! I've been using external applications for this feature so far, but an internal feature would be much better.

If this idea is going to be implemented, it'd be cool to be able to see the Party Mode play history and save them individually or all at once in a playlist.

EDIT: just noticed that this idea has reached the minimum of 500 votes!

Akrisalis
What external apps work for this?
dallinp

YES!!! I have been talking about an idea like this to everyone in my life it is exactly what I need!  I don't think there event needs to be an approved DJ.  What if there's a party mode that allows everyone with a party code to submit songs to the queue and then you can also thumbs up and down songs (like Reddit) to make them go higher in the queue that way everyone controls the music and the most liked songs get played first! 

rua_donn

To add to this, can you implement a BPM identifier for each song? I've seen previous idea's requesting that songs can be searched by BPM or playlisted sorted by BPM, but if we could toggle a BPM marker through settings so that we can always see BPM when navigating throughout Spotify it would be very usefull, especially if your considering implementing this DJ idea. It means that the host could see what BPM their current song is playing at, then see what the BPMs of the requestings coming in are and select the best song to fade into.

Elena

This post was removed for violating the Community Terms and Conditions, specifically "Avoid double posting". Any users posting the same content multiple times will have their posts removed. For more information please read here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Music-Chat/Reminder-Spotify-Community-Guidelines/td-p/4786834

Should Spotify really be a DJ app? Wouldn't it make more sense to use an actual DJ app instead of trying to make Spotify a do-it-all app that eventually becomes to unruly to use? I really don't want Spotify to become the next iTunes because it has 1,000 niche features. Spotify is already 400+ mb. It shouldn't take that much space for me to play my tunes.

yannickm4a

I think this is a great idea for parties, invite your friends over the "friend activity" menu (or scanning a QR code?) and let them submit songs for the queue. Reminds me of these sites like "Watch2Gether" where you can watch YouTube videos together with friends, they also have a queue and a upvote menu and it works perfectly.

@rua_ donn I think BPM tagging would only make sense when Spotify would hop into the real DJ niche. Like Tidal does for Denon DJ Gear, where the DJ can login to his Tidal account on the DJ hardware (Denon DJ SC5000) and then just stream the song onto the player to play it to the crowd. As a part-time club DJ myself I'd really like to see Spotify going this way.

rua_donn

@yannickm4a Agreed, it would probably be a good idea for Spotify to take it even further, but I don't think it should just be geared towards DJs or external hardware. I'm not a DJ, but an still an avid music follower and I'd love to be able to see the BPMs of music I'm listening to, particularly when creating playlists. It would be really annoying to see them implement it where you can't even see in the Spotify app is what I'm saying.