Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Social] Real Time "Listen with Friend(s)"

There ought to be a feature where I can click on a friend and listen in real time to whatever they're listening to, not just their playlist. If they change songs, my Spotify changes with them. 

With this feature, a person could remotely DJ if they wanted, or you could just know that you and a friend are hearing the same thing at the same time. 

Updated on 2020-08-04

Hi everyone!

We're happy to announce that this feature has now been implemented.

You now have the option to join a remote Group Session with all your friends and enjoy the same tracks simultaneously no matter how many miles apart you might be.

For more information be sure to check out our Newsroom article and our Support site page

Comments
Necturion

This would be so great. Spotify really lacks social features imo.

WACOMalt

It seems this is somewhat implemented? Through Discord you can share a listening session. Is this a Spotify feature or some magic Discord is doing? Either way please make it work, and work on mobile (which it currently doesnt through discord)

PhiaAstrea

Awesome idea I had the same idea, linking with a QR code or something similar to give a personal touch to listening to music from a distance 👌😊

thepower1989
Check out https://www.jqbx.fm it's got a lot of rooms now and does exactly
this!
KrazyKC
Jqbx is just not the same as say going to your friends list in the Spotify app and choosing to join in listening and stay listening to exactly what and where your friends are listening too

I've tried jqbx and it's clunky and mediocre at best.  

They have features so close to this in the PC app where you can see what the person is listening to, you just can't join in to listening as well.  Obviously this feature if added would be best served on the mobile platform not just on PC.

thepower1989
I disagree and think that JQBX fits in exactly with the Real Time "Listen
with Friend(s)" thread - but you're entitled to your opinion. Have you
tried the discord feature if you want to listen exactly to what someone
else is listening to without any option to play what you want?
KrazyKC

Neither JQBX, which is not affiliated with Spotify, or the features in Discord are what this post is about however. 

I want to just be able to go into my Spotify app.  Click on a friend's tab.  Find and choose a friend to join and listen to music with them, that is of course if they have the setting for it turned on.

Discord features are pathetic and I don't feel as though I should have to setup and use an entirely different app just to listen to music with my friends. 

This is why in this post we are advocating for a feature that allows you to listen to music with friends through the Spotify app itself.

MPerfect

Yes very good idea I confirm. 

It's very simple, 

You don't want people to have to stop using Spotify just because they want to do something together or talk, right ?

As your users, we would gladly not quit Spotify to be with our friends/family/partners, if you just give us the possibility.

The idea is to create a group of 2 people or more, which when joined, perfectly synchronizes the listening experience between the devices, so we are listening to the same songs at the exact same timing. 

Admins can add/remove songs to the playlist etc...

And for people who have microphones on their headphones, you can communicate in voice over the music by pressing one of the buttons of the headphones. 

Now we can go out to the supermarket and listen to music and chat together even if we're in different sections,

Now couples can be sharing music experiences and talk when they're separated in different places

Now we can be listening to music (or podcasts) all the time 🙂

Let's get it moving ! This should take 48 hours to be added, there are a lot more advanced features we need to add, so at least let's get the basics down already...

nickwallen

Perfect for running in groups to the same song. Love the idea.

bttaylor13

let's do this..