Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Social] Real Time "Listen with Friend(s)"

There ought to be a feature where I can click on a friend and listen in real time to whatever they're listening to, not just their playlist. If they change songs, my Spotify changes with them. 

With this feature, a person could remotely DJ if they wanted, or you could just know that you and a friend are hearing the same thing at the same time. 

Updated on 2020-08-04

Hi everyone!

We're happy to announce that this feature has now been implemented.

You now have the option to join a remote Group Session with all your friends and enjoy the same tracks simultaneously no matter how many miles apart you might be.

For more information be sure to check out our Newsroom article and our Support site page

Comments
sjorske

although group sessions is a great feature I think you're missing out on an opportunity. It's being pitched as a social distancing thing, but point is that you have to be physically together in close distance to scan the code on the mobile device. Would be great if you could share the code via e.g. WhatsApp, bleep, signal, SMS(?) or email.

brianelete

sjorske you can share the code easily with a screenshot, that's not the problem, but even if you share the code only the host's device will play the song. anybody else can only control the session but can not hear anything unless they are with the host physically.

KrazyKC

Even if you were to make it to where the code did work remotely this is not the way I would want it to function.

In all reality I would love something like the friends bar that is in the PC app, which, shows all the friends that are sharing at the time.  However this feature needs to be on the phone, and when you click on the friend you want to listen with it just plays for you what your friend is hearing.

Sharing codes and stuff is too much of a pain and would really hinder the function of the feature we are requesting.

brianelete

Yes, this should work exactly like on discord, minus the extra program and the lag. I think it is quite clear how to implement this the right way, it is just the matter of Spotify wanting to do it or not. 

hugo1234

Everybody is at Home with this Global Situation, Crazy 2020!.

This should be a priority task P0!

iJust imagine live streaming playlist for online parties! 

Posted on the wrong thread X_x

d-roam

Group Sessions is in no way "similar" at all -- if anything, it's the opposite! Group Sessions is for allowing several people in the same location to control a single device. But this request is for several (or even just a couple) people in different locations to sync what they're listening to. The whole idea is being able to "listen together" with friends even when you're not. That's the complete opposite of what Group Sessions is for.

Spotify, please take this into consideration and update your response accordingly.

itsguih

Please, implement this idea!!

brianelete

We have passed 5000 likes! This is really good! 🙂 Please ask all your friends to vote if they are interested in this feature. This many ppl wouldn't have voted if this was a bad idea.. SPOTIFY PLEASE IMPLEMENT THIS! 

brianelete

i just can't think of any reason why this would not be implemented already. how do you decide what is implemented first? 

Rebellem

Spotify has not yet accomplished what we need, perhaps because the title of this thread is ambiguous.

In order not to risk closing the thread saying "we did it", also closing our hopes, I just created a new thread with a title as clear as sunlight.

Synchronized listening with “Friend Activity”

Please help me bring it to their attention, thank you.