Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Social] Rooms/Shared Listening Concept

Hello there!

I know this idea has been brought up before, but all those ideas were several years ago by now, and I couldn't find a recent discussion about this.

Imagine having "rooms" within Spotify, where you can listen together, simultaneously, to the same track with everybody else in the room, no matter where in the world they are, and no matter what device they're using. You can step up and join the DJ queue, and all DJs in the room play one track, one after another. The friend feed on the right side turns into a chatbox, and you can communicate and talk about music while listening to the same tracks. Think tuntable.fm, plug.dj, jqbx.fm, ... but right inside Spotify!

Check out this Medium article by Austin Condiff I found today, detailing this concept (following mockup taken from that article). 

1_oe-EgKyDiW_zOdAENX2zbQ

I've been hoping to have some social aspect like this within Spotify, and I think this would enrich the community even further. You could create rooms based on genres or moods, and enjoy music together with friends and strangers alike. An upvote/downvote function would keep rooms democratic and true to their respective themes. 

The mentioned article perfectly explains the concept and benefits of this feature, please check it out! 

Thoughts?

Thanks and have a great day!

Updated on 2020-10-15

Hi everyone!

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your votes to this idea.

We're setting this to 'not right now' as we don't currently have any plans to implement this.
In the meantime, we do however now have the option to join a remote Group Session with all your friends and enjoy the same tracks simultaneously no matter how many miles apart you might be.

For more information be sure to check out our Support site page.

If we have any more info to share on this, rest assured we'll check back in here.
Thanks!

Comments
pedro_jher

I really liked the idea and I hope it is accepted by the developers. As fast as possible, I like listening to music when I'm studying, but not looking for the idea of having a Dj, doing that is great!

EveDeadBird

I had the same idea a lot of time ago, actually a lot of services gives this possibility, I hope spotify can make something like this, private and public rooms, from Stardard users, Staff Users and artist, and you can chat, listen and vote or give like to the songs, and I hope this will be possible on every device asap 

-03-H-Colls

I have been thinking about this for ages too I love the idea!

mxndslikemxne

this is a great idea. people like to vibe together 

Thnk_Void

this is a great idea!

maccmoney

My Thought sexactly. It should have a community vibe to it. and it makes it more real

dantebarba

Yes, this definitly solves the connect/disconnect issue on parties and meetings, where someone just whats to play his jam and disconnects your phone or computer from the audio jack. This wears out the phone jack and the cable, plus it's not very XXI century having to unplug and plug just to switch a song.

With this feature, you could create the "Party DJ Room" as a host, connect your host device, and let everyone who has spotify and it's allowed to the room (this could be done with public access or QR/Code access) to change songs, change the queue and even chat / request.

By the way, this idea is partially implemented with collaborative playlists, you just have to add the "room" functionality to it and you are done. 

Besides, you are creating a new concept, P2P radios, where people  as a whole control the music stream. Radio stations could even use this feature, **bleep** WE COULD EVEN NOT NEED RADIO STATIONS ANY MORE!

The extension of this feature on long term could be significantly rewarding, even creating advanced subscriptions for social control on a radio stream (voting songs, custom TOP 10, like your own private Radio on Spotify).

Oh I forgot, with this you could use multiple phones on multiple speakers, creating a full extension network. I've been requesting this feature for years. 

It's a brilliant idea, a MUST HAVE.

camldude67

This would be neat. I've been meaning to try something like this out on JQBX or even in Discord but I never have to motivation to go somewhere external.

landonharris88

I've definitely used a couple of third party apps with Spotify to listen to music together, this would be a great feature, especially for working or studying! 

JamesGando09

Hi! I just want to request a song Together by Ne-Yo 'coz it's not in the spotify.. Hope you would consider my request. Thank you in advance.