Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Social] Rooms/Shared Listening Concept

Hello there!

I know this idea has been brought up before, but all those ideas were several years ago by now, and I couldn't find a recent discussion about this.

Imagine having "rooms" within Spotify, where you can listen together, simultaneously, to the same track with everybody else in the room, no matter where in the world they are, and no matter what device they're using. You can step up and join the DJ queue, and all DJs in the room play one track, one after another. The friend feed on the right side turns into a chatbox, and you can communicate and talk about music while listening to the same tracks. Think tuntable.fm, plug.dj, jqbx.fm, ... but right inside Spotify!

Check out this Medium article by Austin Condiff I found today, detailing this concept (following mockup taken from that article). 

1_oe-EgKyDiW_zOdAENX2zbQ

I've been hoping to have some social aspect like this within Spotify, and I think this would enrich the community even further. You could create rooms based on genres or moods, and enjoy music together with friends and strangers alike. An upvote/downvote function would keep rooms democratic and true to their respective themes. 

The mentioned article perfectly explains the concept and benefits of this feature, please check it out! 

Thoughts?

Thanks and have a great day!

Updated on 2020-10-15

Hi everyone!

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your votes to this idea.

We're setting this to 'not right now' as we don't currently have any plans to implement this.
In the meantime, we do however now have the option to join a remote Group Session with all your friends and enjoy the same tracks simultaneously no matter how many miles apart you might be.

For more information be sure to check out our Support site page.

If we have any more info to share on this, rest assured we'll check back in here.
Thanks!

Comments
bennialbrecht

The central idea of this is a great one. Maybe it is easier to have one DJ (=host) first and the listeners can submit music to the queue and to develop it later in a more complex way if the feature is widely used in the Spofity community.

magratheans

Me and my friends are searching for a good website that would have this DJ and commenting feature ever since turntable.fm went under. We would probably use this feature a few times a week at least!

BeeGraceful
magratheans, until Spotify integrates something, please check out JQBX.fm.
Seriously. So many people are there from turntable and love it!
Levvl

Great Idea and beautifully planned out. I guess this would be a lot of effort to implement. though. I'd also love to have something more subtle to begin with like a "chime-in-function" where you listen to what one of your friend is listening right now. 

Like that:

You click on the song friend X is currently listening to (and maybe have the option to listen to it normally or chime in to roughly the timestamp friend X is currently at)

-> after the song finishes, spotify checks what song friend X is listening to now and automatically let's you listen to this song

-> if friend X stopped listening to anything or does not have internet connection anymore you get music that fits to the songs you listened to before

I don't know if anybody will even read this but personally I really like the Idea of that!

You could log in to a chat site with trusted friends and listen to the same shared playlist.

Ha ha ..ok shoot me

bentlyn

great idea reminds me plug.dj

ch2ook

Please make this happen would be a total game changer. 

shahnkarishma

Yes. I have been looking for this feature for more than 3 years now. Finally, another app did it for me. Download Airtime where you can watch, listen, video chat all together synchronously with everyone in a virtual room. Only difference is that it integrates with Soundcloud and Youtube, not Spotify. I love Spotify, but I guess its lagging in feature innovation lately compared to other apps :(.

Phantis

I love this idea, I was actually considering posting a similar idea. That sounds awesome!

Bafflingbarnacl

I love this idea! Definitely would support them by buying premium if a feature like this ever existed.