Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Ads] Ads Filter

I know we can't pick and choose what ads to see, but at least for a teensy bit of decency (especially for people listening to spotify in a professional work environment) can we not have half naked Victoria's Secret super sexy models?

Personally, I could care less about ads. And in fact, I am a woman who shops at Victoria's Secret. Still- I just had an awkward moment with some coworkers AND my boss. I'd like very much for that not to happen again. In the very least, how about an image that isn't half the size of the window? 

I know no one's going to agree, and believe me, I'd be the last person to complain about spotify (it's awesome). But seriously, it's a bit much.

Thanks.

Updated on 2020-12-07

Hi everyone,

Thank you for adding your votes and comments to this idea, we appreciate your patience.

We're just checking in, to confirm we're keeping this set to 'good idea'.

We are working on making ads more personalized, to create better experiences for our users.

Rest assured we're continuing to bring your feedback to the right teams here too.

Comments
I'm starting to think that this is some absurd marketing tactic to force people to upgrade to an ad-free Premium account. "Oh, you're offended by all the our condom/profane/alcohol advertisements? Just pay us $10 and they will go away!" Seriously, every other major ad distribution network has methods for users to flag ads for review and has strict policy about what can and can't be used in an ad. And these are screen-based ad networks (Facebook, Google, etc). It's insane that Spotify forces the F-word through audio with no warning, no targeting filter, and no way to prevent it from happening in the future. These are words and concepts that are banned and/or regulated in almost every other social platform (TV, radio, Hollywood,etc), and Spotify forces them into every facet of their platform, including under-age and religiously focused environments. This is not an issue with programming. It's not hard to place a "flag for review" icon in their software. It can't be an issue with quantity of advertisers...I have to hear the same 10 ads 25x per day, so it's not like they are flooded with ads and can't keep up. It has to come down to money. They want to offend people into upgrading.
JohnMickens

Most of these complaints recently posted, I couldn't tell if I had already written them myself or this forum is sentient.  I was recently accosted by the G-Eazy advertisement myself and was appalled.  I should not have to be subjected to any advertisements that repeatedly state, "b*tch you got me f*cked up" over and over.  There must be something done or I guess Spotify will continue to lose user.  I personally have no interest in paying $10 a month to not hear profanity, when simply uninstalling the app would do.

0cheska0

I agree, completely, and I think it's been getting worse in the last few months. I listen with my family and it is very disturbing when it's late at night and your ten year old sister complains because the ad for The Forest just came on. The ads for Krampus, The Forest, and one of the TV series that was advertised lately are all things that we can block. I don't mind the ads that are all speaking or music, but the kind with yelling/dialogue/screaming and any content that wouldn't be considered to be appropriate for all audiences should be filtered or removed. It's like playing a television ad on the radio, where you can't see the screen, but hear all the sound effects. It's horrid and should be stopped.

mdn

I whole heartedly agree with the above.  I don't mind listening to Spotify's ads.  Not even a little.  But, for the love of all that is holy, target the ads!  You know, like 85% of the other app driven businesses on the planet.  The ads are either so annoying (the guy trying to stutter his way through asking somebody out,) or divergent from my tastes (70s Soul Feelin' Good playlis while I'm listening to Metallica, and Megadeth) that I just take off my headphones when they start and put them back on when they end.  No click-thrus there.

Angelalala00

I'm not saying to get rid of ads because you do need them for spotify to earn money and keep going, but can there be a skip or chnage ad option. Many spotify advertisements are inappropriate for certain ages and stop trying to tell the no ads buy premium ad. It's not going to get anyone to buy it, at least have the decency to listen to a 3 year complaint before trying to get us to buy premium

spotifymenot

This is only a work-around, but go into your account settings and mark that you're 12 years old. The ads served will change.

Can you also tailor the spotify ad "vibe" to the type of music we're listening to?  For example, if we're listening to a lot of calming music or classical music or on "peaceful" playlist, it's jarring to hear loud or aggressive ads, especially loud ads for heavy metal bands.  Another example is the spotify specific ad where the guy is shouting "skip skip!" to the classical music playlist seems counter intuitive if someone is already listening to classical music.

Thanks.

dlb75motx

I seriously wonder whether somehow Spotify monitors what I listen to (mostly Christian praise and worship) and finds ads that feature artists and songs I am least likely to try. I realize I'm an odd duck in regard to the music I select, but seriously...is there not some way we can filter out artists and businesses that border on offensive? I'd surely like that!

muttonface

Repetition does not engender love. I've heard the Dukes of Hazzard Auto Trader commercial (which you no longer play, thank you) enough times to quote it. This does not mean that when I have vehicle purchasing needs I will hight-tail it to Auto Trader dot com. In fact, when I find myself in need of a ride that can "outrun the cops," I will go everywhere BUT Auto Trader to satisfy the petty hatred bred in me by that ad. The same goes for Amtrak, and I'm sure the list will just continue to grow.

"You know what makes me thirsty?" asks Lebron James. Well, that's more than a little inappropriate, don't you think? I understand that sexual shock factors "work" in that they catch peoples' attention - that is, if you think the fact that I haven't been to Carl's Jr. in over a year "works."

Ienes4
I am in complete agreement regarding the Victoria's Secret ads. I often have young kids (boys and girls) around, and I don't want to expose them to these images. In more news, I was listening to a Christian praise and worship station when an add for an occultist show on MTV started. Everything o heard in that commercial was in direct opposition to the music station. I loved Spotify until that occurrence, and haven't used the service since. Could Spotify consider tailoring ads to music type (just as movie previews are tailored for movies)?