Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Ads] Ads Filter

I know we can't pick and choose what ads to see, but at least for a teensy bit of decency (especially for people listening to spotify in a professional work environment) can we not have half naked Victoria's Secret super sexy models?

Personally, I could care less about ads. And in fact, I am a woman who shops at Victoria's Secret. Still- I just had an awkward moment with some coworkers AND my boss. I'd like very much for that not to happen again. In the very least, how about an image that isn't half the size of the window? 

I know no one's going to agree, and believe me, I'd be the last person to complain about spotify (it's awesome). But seriously, it's a bit much.

Thanks.

Updated on 2020-12-07

Hi everyone,

Thank you for adding your votes and comments to this idea, we appreciate your patience.

We're just checking in, to confirm we're keeping this set to 'good idea'.

We are working on making ads more personalized, to create better experiences for our users.

Rest assured we're continuing to bring your feedback to the right teams here too.

Comments
TiredofJunk

"Bypass" option needed now!  We shouldn't have to listen to ads that do not fit with the user's personal preferences.  People don't want to be inundated with commercials of a foreign language, ones that show suggestive imagery, ones that play comments or music they find offensive, etc. 

It should be very easy to place a remove icon on the ad so that a person can select and notify Spotify why they no longer want to see that ad.  I'm 100% less likely to ever be influenced by a platform's ad if there are other ads on that platform that turn me off.  Instead of listening to an ad and being influenced by it I'll simply mute all of them... or move along to another platform.

dlb75motx
Well said and great ideas!
jwc28

Quick solution to your problem: pay the premium subscription fee.

If you're listening at work, I'm guessing you use Spotify quite frequently so the least you can do is give a little back.

Won't somebody think of the artists!

irishengineer4
Yes, think of the artists who make more on an album than some make their entire lifetime...
jwc28

I'm sorry but that's an outrageous statement.

Even when you take physical sales into account, the number of artists making significant sums from album sales is miniscule. The money generated from streaming in particular is tiny as this article demonstrates rather neatly. Or take it from the horses mouth. Field Music are a critically acclaimed, Mercury nominated band who earn very little actual cash from their efforts. They're just the first artist that sprang to mind with a handy interview that proves my point.

My previous comment was slightly in jest, however the point I make is valid. Perhaps the low income generated from streaming is more to do with the deals in place with labels, but as I say, the least you can do is contribute. 

The adverts are paying for your listening. Want rid of them? Pay for the music yourself.

Pinkygurl07
YES TIMES A THOUSAND!! Today my daughter was listening to a Disney playlist I made for her and the ad was for the movie The Boss and all of the sudden they said the word **bleep**! In front of my 2.5year old. This is not the first time I've been VERY unhappy with Spotify's advertising (not just cuss words but also with the sexy visual ads). Maybe have a clean advertising option for parents or people at work?
jhb0103
I'm not sure why it seems to be acceptable to play explicit ads while we're listening to Veggie Tales. I'm just asking for common sense and a dash of decency.

It'd be nice to be able to disable certain ads. Especially for products I already use. If I hear another Jira ad, I will use Jira to make a task to uninstall Spotify. Also I keep hearing ads for music that I don't listen to and have no interest in. I'm currently listening to Four Year Strong/Chunk No Captain Chunk/Strung Out/Melincolin and have at no point listened to some of the music that keeps getting promoted to me. No random hip-hip person, I will not listen to your newest mix-tape. (That made me sound like I was 78)

helenatellow

I just came across an ad for something called Coolsculpting promoting weightloss. I don't mind the ads usually but I thought this was a bit much. Since Spotify obviously have listerners of all ages I would hate especially for younger listeners to hear this. Nothing wrong about trying to loose weight of course, but you do that by eating healthy and exercise. I also think this ad clashes with the Spotify running playlists which is all about a naturally healthy lifestyle. Coolsculpting also reffered in their ad to 'ugly scars'. Well I'm somone how happens to have a lot of scars and I don't need Coolsculpting to call that ugly. That last part may be an overreaction coming from a personal perspective, but overall it's still not an ok ad. Any chance you could concider screening ads a bit more carefully Spotify?

Thank you for an otherwise excellent service! I've been a user for many years and it's lovely to see the service develop and becoming better and better. Keep up the good work!

mtkdaly

Stop advertising horror movies. We have young children using this app and when listening in bed in the evening it is quite disturbing.

I notice a lot of people are complaining about this too.

Can spotify confirm if this is being taken seriously and if you are considering solutions to this problem - or is the only option to buy a premium account in which case I will have to stop using your service as I can't possible afford to pay for 5 accounts which is why my children and partner listen to the free version.

I think I would like to know where we stand with this problem so I can take the right course of action. My children are terrified when horror move ads come on and I think it is quite unfair. So if the only option is to stop using the service then that is what we will have to do.

I would appreciate a response to this.

Thank you