[Spotify for Artists] Approval for features to protect independent artist

I listen to a lot of independent artist, meaning they are under no record label or management. Spotify currently allows anyone to add their name to a song another person posts as a feature without approval. With signed artists, the requests are approved by the record label. Because of this lack of protection, popular independent artist often have their platforms abused by others. Small dishonest artist will list these popular artists and content creators as features to their songs, even though they are not actually on the song. They use this tactic to take advantage of dedicated listeners of these popular independent artists and content creators.

I think Spotify should add a feature request to people who have artist profiles. How this could work is when someone wants to post the song, it could post to their own page, but does not list features, and sends feature requests to the owner of the account the poster wants to feature, with the option of approving or denying. If approved, the feature is added to the artist list under the song and the song is added to the featured artist's discography as it normally is. If denied, none of this happens. I feel that this way, Spotify can also track who is abusing their platform by tracking their denied feature requests. If they have a bunch, they risk termination of their artist account, because let's be real, we shouldn't want people who take advantage of others on this platform. 

I hope this makes sense. 

Updated on 2021-07-18

Hello and thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

0 Likes
Comments
Alex
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2021-07-18

Hello and thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!