[Subscription] Allow Gift Cards to be used for any Subscription Type

So I got a Spotify gift card from my friend. I am already on a Family Premium plan and so when I try to redeem the gift care, it tells me that I cannot.

Why? Gift cards are supposed to be used for anything related to a service. Why can't I use the gift card to pay for my subscription?

This feels so dishonest and strange for a company to not honor their gift cards in such a strange way.

Updated on 2017-11-01

Marked as new idea.

Comments
Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2017-11-01

Marked as new idea.

joshuakkk

Commenting because yearly payment options for family subscriptions should be made possible.

Please make it happen

AeroHil

Totally agree with this. Just recieved $60 gift card for my birthday. Scratch it up to enter the code and Spotify won't allow this to be used because I have a PREMIUM Family Plan. Com'on, money is money. Now I can't even exchange the gift card at the store because it's already scratched! Please add this in soon!

spotify.PNG

jacobdumez

There should be no need for votes on this. I am currently very frustrated that I can't give Family Premium to my sister's family, and have no time to wait for some online community of super-users to vote on this. At least provide an explanation!! This is absurdity.

ilikesteak

This is such a complete crock of **bleep** if true.  How can you not redeem?  How can you have "Premium" status and not be allowed to do this?  The gift card I'm trying to redeem came from someone who did not have just an overflow of cash to dole out.  It's an awesome gift they budgeted for, and now it's literally a worthless piece of plastic.  Not cool at all, and no sense whatsoever. 

LucyLuLuu
Gig Goer

utterly ridiculous

I know there's a workaround, looking now, but shouldn't have to resort to that

I've been premium forever, bought a family plan couple months ago, and now am stuck with a gift card in told i can't use.

You have my credit c card info, why is that not sufficient on top of gift card if recurring is the requirement?

tricky_muso
Casual Listener

I had the same issue, if you follow the below workaround, you should be able to redeem the gift card as credit to your family account (as you'll see in the thread, it worked for me...eventually)!

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Premium-for-Family-Student/Gift-card-and-Spotify-Premium-Family-spo...

I completely agree with your suggestion though.  Spotify should support applying the credit to Family Subscriptions without the need for a workaround.  I hope that helps!

Hal2001

I totally agree and have been going back and forth with them on this issue.  "Spotify Cares" just points me to their policy, but it makes no sense.  I too was given a gift card, and was excited to set up a family plan, for my family, but then found out the card couldn't be used.  

I agree it is dishonest.  I don't think their explination is clear or has any reasoning, except for that it has not come up as an issue enough.  

Spotify sells 2 products, an Individual and Family subscription service.  Thats it.  It makes no sense why you can't use a gift card for one and not the other. 

Mr_Manatee
Casual Listener

My current employer is offering a "Spotify benefit" for all employees using the gift card codes. I find it very disappointing that family premium users such as myself can't take advantage of it because of limitations that seem completely arbitrary.

If the problem is that it is somehow too complicated to handle partial payments, couldn't you just give 2/3 of the months? In other words, 3 months gift card would equal 2 months of family premium, 6 months gift card would equal 4 months, and 12 months gift card would equal 8 months. You still wouldn't (unfortunately) be able to use 1 month gift cards for paying family premium, but at least it would solve the issue for everyone else.

Katieqd

Seriously! My parents gave my family $180 in spotify gift cards to pay for a year of Spotify Premium Family. And we can't use them. What gives????