Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Subscription] Discount for National Service members

The student discount for Spotify premium helps college students afford to listen to sweet tunes, but what about those who recently graduated college and have committed to doing National/International Service through Americorps, PeaceCorps, etc? Individuals who choose to serve with Americorps (1 year) or PeaceCorps (2 years) are given a very small living stipend to use and a spotify discount would be greatly appreciated!

Updated on 2019-09-16

Hey folks,

We wanted to post an update as this idea has reached over 600 votes from our users.

We’re always working on improving the Spotify experience, but we’re afraid we don’t have any further information to share at the moment.

We typically don't announce information about subscriptions in advance. The best place to keep an eye out is on the What’s New section of our blog.

Thanks!

Comments
osornios
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Updated on 2018-08-31

Marked as new idea, which is a repost of this inactive idea.

jer5pw

Speaking as an upcoming Peace Corps volunteer who will be living on $200/month in my country of service, I completely agree that volunteers should have some kind of discount.

For one thing, PC volunteers are in either a similar or worse financial position than college students based on our low living stipend, which goes a long way in our country of service but its laughably small by American standards. No one expects to save money when joining the Peace Corps, but taking about $120 out of the $2,400 I am expected to live and travel on for a year is not a sound financial decision. 

As others in these feed who are current volunteers can atest and I can imagine as I think of my upcoming service, having music available is a critical way that many volunteers unwind after a particularly challenging day. I think everyone can relate to needing some alone time with that perfect playlist. This need is only more critcial while in country, but far less available due to low relaibility of electricity and internet in many countries where Peace Corps serves. 

Finally, music is a great way to bring people together and to share cultures. I will get to hear and learn so much from my host family and new friends, and I would love to be able to share some of my favorite songs and artists with them in turn! What better way to express the beauty and diversity of American culture? 

Spotify bills itself as "music for everyone." I think providing a discount for Peace Corps volunteers would be a wonderful way for Spotify to live out that motto and take an active role in increasing intercultural understanding, something this world desperately needs more of.  

vampireanarchy

and all first responders like police fire etc.

tyleranne04

I second Peace Corps discount! About to move to Tanzania for 2 years!! Will need my music to stay centered and grounded when stressed. And will be sharing my music with country natives!! 🙂 

14ratkins

I use Spotify to play my “american song of the week” before my fifth grade class every day. I use these songs to advance my South African learners’ English listening skills, and I’ve helped my learners become even more obsessed with Beyoncé than they already were (which is truly impressive, trust me). My college pricing just ended and Spotify now costs me 150 rand, which is equivalent to one week’s worth of groceries!!

Sunset1

Agreed! Speaking as an AmeriCorps team leader - my members are paid a "living stipend" throughout their time in the program, which comes to less than $400 a month. We greatly appreciate organizations that recognize our difficult budget as well as our dedication to service (we're not doing it for the salary, haha) and are willing to offer discounts. 

There are a number of AmeriCorps members throughout the country doing great work in schools, camps, cities, communities affected by disasters. Please consider offering discounted subscription during their time in the program. 🙂 Thank you!

TomLegend
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Updated on 2019-09-16

Hey folks,

We wanted to post an update as this idea has reached over 600 votes from our users.

We’re always working on improving the Spotify experience, but we’re afraid we don’t have any further information to share at the moment.

We typically don't announce information about subscriptions in advance. The best place to keep an eye out is on the What’s New section of our blog.

Thanks!