Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Subscription] Military / Forces Discount

Spotify currently offer students a 50% discount, yet no forces discount. Spotify should introduce a forces discount for current serving members of the armed forces. 

Updated on 2023-07-06

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We've discussed this idea and while it is interesting, we aren't able to prioritize it and don't have any immediate plans to implement this. We will let you know if this changes in the future.

If we do have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

More info on why your idea has been closed can be found here.

Comments
Pajolero

The amount of sheer entitlement generated in this thread over the years is truly wild.

tennfishin

I am a big believer in the free market. Obviously a military discount won’t be considered while “student” discounts and Spotify gift card loop holes are encouraged. However, there are at least two other music streaming competitors who DO offer such a discount. Google it. 

austin3h8

Idc anymore, I have spotify premium for free so that's my military discount. Your mommy and daddies are paying for your college so you have no reason to cry over a discount suggestion. I know it's hard to comprehend military service but it's not entitlement, the fact that you college kiddies are arguing this proposal makes me cringe. Anyways, see ya. Thanks for the free premium!

stratcatnc
We’re all very impressed. Bask in the moment.
LemonGrease
I have experience in law, and you can't comprehend that international laws
exist. Something as simple as an international company allowing leeway in
offering a discount to another country's military would cause a major
problem. Oh and I've never been to college.
tennfishin

Do you mean the same international laws that apply to other international / global companies such as: Pandora, Tidal, Apple and Amazon? All of those particular "international" companies offer military and/or veterans discounts, seemingly without many "legal" problems. Regardless, I am all for Spotify running their company however they wish. In fact I subscribe to the service, gladly. However, it IS a free market and military veterans that are offended by the very loud silence from Spotify can choose to vote with their wallets, as well as with their opinions. Oh, and I have been to college...without the benefit of "student discounts" 🙂 

LemonGrease
Spotify is a Swedish company. Apple and Amazon are American companies and
that is why they are permitted to have a military discount.
tennfishin

Yes. Many international companies offer discounts to American service members, including Tidal music streaming service based in Norway. BMW, Nissan, Toyota and numerous airlines and cruise lines that are flagged in other countries. Many of them do it in appreciation of the decades of peace and prosperity that the American military has provided. Again, free market based principles allow those choices, as well as Spotify’s choice. Personally I am of the opinion that the service Spotify has developed has value and think that everyone should pay a fair market value based fee...even students. 

LemonGrease
Lol okay, not a student though. Either way I'm not bothering with you
anymore since you're so convinced with your ignorance
tennfishin

Yes, that is a logical response. Ignorance indeed. Regardless of what you and I think or say, the decision is left to Spotify and to the consumer. Capitalism is a beautiful thing indeed.