Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Subscription] Teacher Discount

It would be great if Spotify offered a teacher discount for Spotify Premium.  Increasingly I am using Spotify in my classroom, but it is frustrating to have to constantly monitor it and jolt across the classroom to mute the ads.  I am happy to support the artists I listen to by paying for Spotify Premium, except that with ever more budget constraints, especially to arts programs, it is not feasible to shell out $120/yr from the school's or my own personal budget.  I believe that if a teacher discount was offered, we would also be able to promote the use of Spotify with our own students thereby increasing Spotify's users.

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

It seems that this idea ended up in the wrong board accidentally, so we're bringing it back.

We're keeping the previous Case Closed status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
joeyswinkey

As a music educator in a public high school, I strongly suggest that Spotify offer their education discount to teachers. I routinely give my students listening assignments, play music in my music classroom, and make my students playlists to listen to via Spotify. This is one of the best, most organized services for getting access to music, a curricular subject in public schools across the U.S. School is the one place where a qualified expert can help students engage in, learn about, and make sense of music. As a company that promotes music for profit, I may suggest that you owe it to a generation of future musicians to make this service as readily available for young students and their teachers as possible. You are doing a disservice to the music (which you profit from) by continuing to refuse this option. I will happily find you a lengthy list of examples of ways that Spotify can be used within and outside of classrooms by teachers and students alike without breaching your terms of contract. 

bassn0te

tbhjr

"We should also note that it's not possible to use Spotify in public places (such as bars, restaurants, stores, schools, etc.)."

Why is that a deterring factor for educators if students get a discount? Makes no sense.

silverhalide

I just canceled my Spotify Premium Family Plan because I was directed to do so in order to get what I thought was an Education Discount but now realize is a Student only discount. Frustrating and short-sighted on Spotify's part particularly since I don't use Spotify that much and have been paying for it for 5 years now and am reluctant to join back up t the old rate without Hulu.

Shatrin1

Wow. I was considering subscribing for personal use but this answer makes me glad I canceled my paid account. The amount of teachers pales in comparison to the number of teachers and companies would do well to offer discounts to teachers across the board. It isn't like they can't write it off. Furthermore, if she is playing it and the students hear it, what is the problem? She isn't making money off of playing it. 

WCapehart
Yes, I am currently serving a special ed teacher in the Philippines and am
self supported. Pandora does not work here so I signed up for Spotify. I
contacted Pandora when I first found out and they said they would put my
subscription and account on hold so I could keep all my thumbs up. I'm sure
that when I head back to the states I'm going canx my Spotify premium and
go back to Pandora . . .

#Spotify management, I hope your reading this because I really like your
service, but as an educator I can't afford it.
Iaio

I'm an ICT teacher at university in Italy, I explain to my students several kind of sw and often, directly my students, ask me to explain Spotify, but I've some problem without Premium version, so - embarassed - I need to to use an Education (Student!!! of course...) version. Other SW, for example MS Office, allow the free download of the teacher's package so that we can use it in the classroom.

emilyr_13

I agree that there should be a discount for teachers. As a recent college graduate, losing the student discount and being paid minimum wage while paying off student loans, $10 a month for a premain subscription is a little outrageous.

gheazey

"We don't have palns for a Teacher Discount at the moment, but we will let you know if we do."

But let's not support educators.

n6_yxz-9uf7

I had no idea that private institutions were considered public places like a bar that sells alcohol where advertisers spread their products. So for individual classrooms it’s not okay for the teacher to play Spotify music for learning and growing, but for special needs classes as well. So get statistics on your subscribers and see if they work in the education system and see how often they play music during their work time because if it’s a conflict they probably should pull out and stop paying for the service