Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Subscription] Teacher Discount

It would be great if Spotify offered a teacher discount for Spotify Premium.  Increasingly I am using Spotify in my classroom, but it is frustrating to have to constantly monitor it and jolt across the classroom to mute the ads.  I am happy to support the artists I listen to by paying for Spotify Premium, except that with ever more budget constraints, especially to arts programs, it is not feasible to shell out $120/yr from the school's or my own personal budget.  I believe that if a teacher discount was offered, we would also be able to promote the use of Spotify with our own students thereby increasing Spotify's users.

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

It seems that this idea ended up in the wrong board accidentally, so we're bringing it back.

We're keeping the previous Case Closed status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
Svqf
Your understanding is incorrect. Look up fair use portion of copyright laws.
Goodman
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Updated on 2019-10-31

Hey folks.
We wanted to post an update, since we made some changes to our ideas process.
Typically, we won't announce information about new subscription options, third-party integrations or new countries in advance.
We’re always working on improving the Spotify experience, but we don’t have any more information to share at the moment.
The best place to keep an eye out is on the
What’s New section of our blog.
Thanks.

WilliamZWang

According to Spotify TOS, the service is for personal individual use only. Using it in a classroom is not permitted as it counts as broadcasting, and somewhat public and commercial. They recommended commercial music subscription partners for that. 

Heddie46

"You may only make personal, non-commercial, entertainment use of the content and, in signing up for an account, you have agreed and undertaken that you are using the content only in this manner." 

If I am the one controlling the playlist and the only one logging into my account (Personal), I am not selling the music or charging a fee for anyone else who hears the music on my speaker(non-commercial), and it makes my day easier or more fun (entertainment)... isn't that COMPLETELY the definition of this statement? This legal statement is the least imaginative way of saying, "Spotify doesn't care."

The idea that you are limiting discounts to students and not allowing it for teachers (who rarely have less spare cash than their students) seems to be an entirely selfish enterprise and demonstrates a lack of appreciation for educators. Sad statement Spotify. Sad.

Tlarimer

Would love to see this happen. Spotify get it done!

Nightminds

I teach fifth grade and students absolutely love to come into the classroom listening to music. Testing is easier when I can have VSQ on because the student stay more focused. I have stuck with Spotify ever since getting Spotify Student Premium, but have looked into other options recently to switch over to. I love, love, love Spotify. I love making a class playlist. I love the security of playing songs and not having to check the ad every minute to see if it's appropriate. I love being able to look up a song for students to listen to as a reward. With the arts disappearing faster and faster with budget cuts, I really think Spotify is an amazing platform for schools, educators, and students. Personally, I wouldn't ask for the Hulu or other video streaming to be included, but just a discount on Premium. 

nchelmsworth

Though I think Spotify has good quality sound and have often used it in my classroom - I think the individual rate - with NO educator discount is a disappointment. As this is an online service - they have been protected by lots of restrictions that have limited brick+ mortar work during COVID.

Even apple gives an educator discount - $10/month is just too high -

I don't understand why they don't try to do better.

I will be looking at Pandora.

😞

c0smiccarly

Still nothing on this?

MrsFloyd

As an educator, I too would like a discount subscription. Furthermore, after discussing this possibility with customer service, your terms of service forbid listening to Spotify in a classroom setting. If you offered limited options to teachers with teacher subscriptions so that they could use Spotify in the classroom, this would be understandable and acceptable. 

Mihail
Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2021-07-16

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Given that this idea has been submitted a long time ago and after reviewing it again, we can confirm that a teacher discount isn't something we can implement in the foreseeable future.

If we do have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

More info on why your idea has been closed can be found here.