Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Subscription] Teacher Discount

It would be great if Spotify offered a teacher discount for Spotify Premium.  Increasingly I am using Spotify in my classroom, but it is frustrating to have to constantly monitor it and jolt across the classroom to mute the ads.  I am happy to support the artists I listen to by paying for Spotify Premium, except that with ever more budget constraints, especially to arts programs, it is not feasible to shell out $120/yr from the school's or my own personal budget.  I believe that if a teacher discount was offered, we would also be able to promote the use of Spotify with our own students thereby increasing Spotify's users.

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

It seems that this idea ended up in the wrong board accidentally, so we're bringing it back.

We're keeping the previous Case Closed status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
Svqf
Thank you for the response. I think that you may be mistaken regarding your
admonition about using music in school classrooms. I could be wrong, but I
think that according to precedential law, the classroom is not considered
"commercial use" and using song excerpts in a public education environment
qualifies as "fair use."

I'm a bit offended at how Spotify's response to a legitimate inquiry of a teacher discount (the next logical step after a student discount) is to shame the educator for using it in the classroom by quoting legalese.  Spotify could be a fantastic tool for educators.  Instead of helping teachers, their response is to shame them.  Not a great way to endear oneself to my profession.

wurm122

I think that it would be great if there was a teacher discount. I love to use it in my classroom, but also during my planning time to relax. It would be nice to have available for my students who use music to focus.

Teacherange403

I would also like to see a teacher discount.  Just because you don't have the comments doesn't mean you wouldn't have the interest. If more teachers knew it was an option, they would switch in a heartbeat to Spotify. Please keep considering this option!

Roastedsea

This would be amazing! My mom is a teacher and never has $ for anything. She loves to play music in her class and we both listen to Spotify. A teacher discount would be an awesome way for her to save money and have better music for her students!!!!!!

Millerlm3

As a teacher, I can't justify $10/month.  A teacher discount would be fantastic! I love listening to Spotify on my prep periods and after hours. 

Texas225

Yeah, because students n e v e r play their Spotify app in public places like school, or the mall, or restaurants, or coffee shops, or.......

Teacherange403

Actually, there's another post about using audio and video in a classroom situation.  That's not considered "public" viewing, and no money is collected for it.  I have used it for academic reasons (a song that references a classic work, etc.), but if Spotify doesn't wish teachers to use it those teachers will have to look to other apps to do so.

So many apps integrate with others now and encourage their use in schools--partly because it's a great marketing advertisement for those apps to students (who get a discount through Spotify).  It's too bad Spotify isn't one of them. 

ambersousa

Just adding to the comments in the hopes that this will still be considered! I currently benefit from a student discount as a graduate student, but will finish my studies in March. I am a full time Spanish educator and love using music with my students as a way to help them immerse themselves in the language. I have struggled with ads in the past, and find that it can be quite disruptive to the flow of the classroom every time an ad comes on. I believe that educators are valuable to our community, and create a huge potential for a market, as well as exposing students to the Spotify brand. We would love to see a discount similar to the student discount extended to educators. I do not believe that playing music in a classroom of 20-25 students constitutes any kind of commercial or public redistribution, and its use is to educate others. Please consider educators and the impact Spotify could have on classroom communities across the nation.

mrlnellis36

I just like to use Spotify to relax or workout to when I'm not teaching but I think we as educators deserve some sort of discount. If not us atleast the armed forces. I don't know why the only discount is students. I understand they're broke and I was once a college student too but there's other groups more deserving of discounts here. College age people are probably the biggest demographic of Spotify users.