Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Support Google Cast for Audio

Google announced Google cast for audio today. Any chance we'll see this api adopted so that speakers using this can play from Spotify? 

"today, we're announcing Google Cast for audio, which embeds the same technology behind Chromecast into speakers, sound bars, and A/V receivers. Just like Chromecast, simply tap the cast button in your favorite music or radio app on Android, iOS, or the web, and select a Google Cast Ready speaker to get the party started.

Google Cast Ready speakers pull content directly from the cloud, so you’ll get the best audio quality and can freely multi-task on your phone, tablet, or laptop, all without straining the battery. These speakers will work with a growing list of apps including Deezer, Google Play Music, iHeartRadio, NPR One, Pandora, Rdio, TuneIn, and many more."

http://chrome.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/introducing-google-cast-for-audio.html?m=1

Updated: 2015-10-22

In collaboration with Google, we’re thrilled to announce Spotify on Chromecast and Chromecast Audio. Spotify and Chromecast Now Play Together.

While you cast, you can use your phone to answer a call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room, all without interrupting what’s playing on the speakers or draining your battery.

To learn more about how you can listen at home, head over to www.spotify.com/at-home.

Comments
ikt123

Rorey
Status changed to: Implemented

We launched Spotify Connect because we believe that by owning the technology end-to-end, we can deliver the best connected home music experience. Connect's advantages are already evident, with hundreds of devices from the world's leading brands integrated. Several of these partners (e.g. Gramofon and Philips) are already building devices which remove the mobile/tablet from the experience altogether, meaning picking up where you left off is as simple as tapping a button on your device. Additionally, as Connect offers a faster experience than other solutions it can provide near-instant response times, and lets users who haven't invested in new hardware control their existing devices, for example by using a mobile to control their laptop or tablet. 

As we already have an experience that is optimized for ease-of-use and audio quality, we have no news to share on other integrations or partnerships at this time. We will continue to develop Connect, with new features, partners and devices arriving in 2015.

Also this should not be confused with our position on the Chromecast device. Our goal has always been to bring listeners the right music for every moment, making it easily accessible whenever and wherever they might be. This means that in order to keep improving Spotify, we're continuously exploring new and better ways of listening, which may include Chromecast as well as other platforms and devices.

honestbleeps

"Also this should not be confused with our position on the Chromecast device."

This is an absolute lie.

Supporting Chromecast and/or Google Cast is the same exact thing. Google Cast is the API upon which Chromecast (and "Google Cast devices") runs.

You can't support one but not both, even if you tried.  Refusing to support Google Cast means you refuse to support Chromecast. Period.

Speedy86

While Spotify is discovering new ways of listening and considering if they should implement what their customers want, I know what I want: Google Cast Support! I won't cancel my Spotify subscription at the moment because I do still like the service a lot and I find the overall product better than what the competition has to offer. However, I refuse myself to buy a Connect device, because they are quite obviously the only reason why Spotify is still "discovering, exploring and continuosly considering" . I don't want to support that kind of strategy, it's just too obvious.

elkniwcire

Seriously???????? This is a "not right now" idea??? Do they even care about their customers? All we want to do is use their service to listen to music. That's why we pay for it. We don't want to use their Spotify Connect service (which from experience on my Fire TV, can say that it does not work nearly as well as Chromecast). Let us listen to music on whatever TV/Speaker we choose. You can let us do that and still develop Connect at the same time.

SandroQC

Where is the original request to add Chromecast support!? They just removed after 8k+ kudos!? This is already getting to a point of disrespect to the customers. They don't listen, now they delete requests...

As soon as Google Play Music give me the option to cache in a lower bitrate or I change my smartphone to one with larger storage space, I'll change no doubt...

8charlie

Bye Spotify. Hello, Google Play Music.

richlife69

If you haven't already done it, add your Kudos to the "original" request -- already 5 more kudos today!  Spotify has 2 million plus users.  8700+ have asked for Chromecast support.  The number willing to spend for a new Sptify Connect solution is relatively small.  The market  potential with Chromecast is hundreds of millions.  Most people are still discovering streaming.  Make your voice heard by supporting this request for a native Chromecast solution in Spotify.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Add-support-for-Google-ChromeCast/idi-p/482900

Domewodka

So my new 2015 Sony receiver shows that Sony is NO LONGER SUPPORTING Spotify Connect. Instead, it now has Google Cast.

All specs found on internet say it does do Spotify Connect, but it really does not and Sony confirmed it by mail (asking where I got my info).

chthomse

I guess this can be added to the "implemented ideas"-section now 🙂

http://www.androidauthority.com/chromcast-spotify-support-645474/

/Chris