Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Music] Tag Music

It'd be awesome to be able to add my own tags to all of my songs in playlists, so I can easily and specifically sort my songs how I like.

Should be a pretty simple tool to implement.

Thanks

Updated on 2018-10-05

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea!

We're keeping this idea as 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks.

Comments
mgolious

I agree! Right now, the closest we can get to this is creating playlists. I've only been on Spotify for a couple months and the number of playlists I have is getting out of hand. I wish I could just create playlists on the fly that suit my current mood using tags. It would be awesome if I could import my Lastfm tags and then going forward, I could when I added a new song to my Spotify library, I could open up a pop-up window or something to enter tags for that song, artist, or album in Lastfm. I would pay for premium if you offered that feature!!

freddut

this would also be useful for searching

if I search for "dubstep" I want to see all tracks, artists, playlists tagged by other users as "dubstep"

Versus167

This would be really useful in combination with smart-lists! (another spotify-idea)

geoffspakes

Agreed on the tags and smart lists. Right now I'm putting songs in a single playlist but it would be nice to have them in multiple ones automatically by the way I tag them.

For example...Magic Bus by the Who might be tagged: classic_rock, velocity, favs

It would automatically be placed in my Classic Rock, Velocity (high tempo songs I love for working out), and a Favorites playlist.

restinfm

Hi! I suggested using playlists as tags in "In playlist" icon when searching

It is not the exacly functionality you are looking for, but it could be something similar to this:

In playlist icon and right click menu

Cheers!

foxtrotwhiskey9

Yes! Come on spotify! This'll make life so much easier.

Dane

Does anyone know if it's possible to implement a tagging and smart playlist system through the apps API? This might be quicker than waiting for Spotify to do it given all the requests they get.

dinomight

Tagging would be such an amazing feature. My playlists are also getting a bit out of hand, and I just realized how much easier this would make things. For example, I have a rock playlist that's a little heavier overall, and a pop/rock list that has a lighter sound. There tends to be some overlap between the two, and at this point I'll often star a track, add it to the rock list, and add it to the pop/rock list. It would be so much easier to be able to just right click on a track, and add new tags, choose existing tags, etc. Maybe tag playlists would be kept in a separate location from the regular playlists.

markusda

Tagging could/should replace playlists.  In implementing tags it couldbe transparent to those whom currently have play lists, by converting the playlists to tags.  Tags should work basically the same way that the STAR does.  When you STAR a song it appears in the STAR list.  All tagging should do is create another list created just like the STAR does.

Aong the STAR line of thought/discussion, in the same way that you always see that a song is STARed no matter where you come across that song (via a SPOTIFY search, one of your play lists, etc), the tags should be visible anytime a song appears on screen that is tagged.  for instance, if I have a song that is STARed and has 2 different tags - just as i can see the STAR now anywhere i come across that song, there should also be a tag column beside the song that shows the tags for a song - if the number of tags is too long then truncate it with a '...' that can be clicked on and a pop-up to show the remaining list, or hover over display of all the tags.  And the tags should be hyper-links to take you to a list of the songs in that tag.

I could come up with a decent set of proposed requirements for this feature for Spotify if they would take the time to consider it.

dretdurl

I would love to see tagging in spotify. I would be the future Spotify Smart Playlist.

Just add tags to your songs and artist and it automatically puts the songs in the playlist. So you don't have to add ech song individually. It would pretty much kick "genres" ass