Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Wear OS] Offline Music on Wear OS devices

Please add offline music support to the wearable without need to be connected to the main phone /tablet.

Eg Bluetooth headphones connected to my smartwatch listening to music while I'm running.

This is now supported by the watch OS http://officialandroid.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/jogging-and-jamming-with-android-wear.html?m=1

Updated on 2021-09-07

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the support you’ve shown in this idea and for the feedback since the roll-out began.

We’ve thoroughly relayed and discussed it with the Wear OS team and wanted to make a quick update on things you can expect to see first.

Regarding shuffle options, we’re happy to say that this feature is ready and will be gradually rolled out.

Separately, we can also confirm that the app keeps some info stored in order to reduce data usage. This includes previously played and downloaded content, which gets cleared when it hasn’t been played for a while. To offer the same amount of control as on the mobile app we’ll provide an option to manually clear the cache from the Settings menu.

Finally, we hear you on the point that the Spotify interface on your wrist should have the same Your Library as on other devices and have the same playlists available. If you don't see it already, you will soon.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts as we develop the Wear OS experience. We’ll keep you posted on any new updates, as soon as there are any.

Take care! 

Comments
steve_kunicki

I have a Spotify premium account and I really like it. However if YouTube music is first to support offline music I will have to cancel Spotify and move to them so I can run with music on my ticwatch pro 3 offline.

Emoti

People use their watches for sports, often without their phones. Downloading songs for offline playback on Wear OS is a must!

Edimahler

Dear Spotify team,

Please tell us the reason for this incredible delay of this function:

a) You've contracts, which don't allow such a function to be implemented in the near future.

-> Please just tell us about it!

b) You have problems with the DRM protection of the songs to be able to put them in the offline storage of a watch (why is it different to a mobile phone then?)

c) You have other technical problems to implement this solution.

-> Maybe you could directly contact the Spotify-mod developper then, he could surely help you there.

d) You're just not interested in your customers ideas, especially not in this one.

-> Please just tell us about it.

But please: Tell us about your next steps in this case as soon as possible. You know, time's ticking, your competitors don't sleep at all!

.And if you're not able to develop the software by yourself: Please don't hesitate any longer to contact external developers to pay them for this. (Don't ask myself for this there, I'm just a hardware-dev! 😉 )

Thanks for reacting!

PierreDuzérosix

Hi, 100% aligned with steve_kunicki here

I've been going for a private account for top quality service for a long time

If you can't make that BASIC feature happen quick, i'll switch

And if you can make it happen quick, I'll need to understand why it was not done 4 YEARS ago

Or I'll switch

mdh177-gb

I've only just returned to Spotify from AMZ Music as I've got the TicWatch Pro 3 and assumed that offline listening was a given on the Spotify Wear OS app for trekking/running but it isn't!!!

Really without this functionality it is pretty much useless. Youtube music perhaps?

FedeHippo

So apparently Apple users are worth it to get this feature? Its just us second-rate Android commoners that arent?

"Spotify now works on the Apple Watch, no phone required"
https://www.engadget.com/spotify-apple-watch-195333332.html

“We’re focused on developing experiences that enable users to listen to Spotify wherever and whenever they want - regardless of the device or platform,” Spotify told Engadget in a statement.

Oh are you now? Really?

Edimahler

@FedeHippo: It's just streaming over LTE, no offline music...

I definitely don't think, Spotify will ever be able to bring us offline playback on the Smartwatch. For myself downloading the songs as MP3s to my Smartwatch and listening to them then like this is the solution I get used to use. Of course this is less agreable, especially as it would be sooo easy to be implemented in the app as others proved already...

FedeHippo

@Edimahler

Sry i read it wrong. But the option to stream directly to My Ticwatch 4g would be enough for me. But thats not on the table either. 

Besides i dont see what the difference is, programming-vise, when you Are streaming, you are still downloading/buffering the song. The only difference is the amount of data stored at the same time

Samsung and Garmin watches have offline Spotify, so why can't WatchOS and WearOS???

I'm waiting to see who out of Spotify and YouTube music supports offline music first. The winner gets my subscription money.

Edimahler

@FedeHippo: I've the same watch as you have. 🙂 But in Switzerland the LTE functionality is not activated (yet), so true offline listening is still the one I'm hoping for.

And hey guys, thanks for the many likes about my questions to Spotify! As it looks like, they don't wanna answer them. Once again... 😞

They normally just begin to answer here, if you are provoking them. Not a great base for a good discussion at all!