Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Web Player] Bring back the old Web Player

The minimalism of the web player makes it near unusable (self.spotify)

submitted 2 minutes ago by MovkeyB

Here is a list of basic stuff that got removed:

• See the radio
  • See the queue
  • See the song length
  • see how far in the song you are

Here is stuff that got destroyed in terms of functionality.

• adding a song to a playlist is now a lot more difficult and requires moving a lot more bc it opens up a HUGE window instead of the little menu

• The volume slider is not live, its drag and drop so you can't hear the effect of the volume change in real time

Everything is HUGE and they just seem to love all the dead space and tell me pretty much nothing about whats going on.

It's atrocious. I've used it for about 10 minutes and I already despise it with a burning passion. These things I mentioned are just the ones that are just immediately obvious because I USE THEM FREQUENTLY

Updated on 2019-06-25

Hey folks, 

We're just going through a few older ideas that we haven't updated. 

Most of the functionality listed in the original post exists on the Web Player. The queue can be found in the bottom right corner near the Volume bar and you can find Radio by clicking the three dots next to any song, album or playlist. 

If you have any new ideas you'd like to see on the webplayer, feel to submit them here.

Thanks!

Comments
concerneduser_1

The new webplayer is heinous. I have the app downloaded at home, but I have to use the webplayer at work. I agree with previous posters that nearly everything about this update makes it harder to use at work (and Spotify is the only thing that gets me through the workday). 

Why is everything so huge and why is there so much empty space? We're adults, not toddlers. We can read tidy lists--and for the love of god, bring back the nice tidy list of playlists in the sidebar. Do you have any idea how horrible this layout looks on a normal-sized, non-laptop monitor? Enormous ugly grids of album covers are visually unappealing, difficult to sort through, and make my boss ask what I'm looking at.

The webplayer is a website, not an app, so don't try to make it look like one. 

Also, this is a little thing, but I really miss having the name of the currently playing song in the tab. I liked seeing what track I was listening to at a glance while working in another tab. Having the name of the playlist there is useless.

SpotifyBadi

bruddah you got everything spot on they just made everything harder , the old format was perfect compared to this new empty usless one

krbuckingham

I'm a daily user (of the free online player).  The new format today surprised me - Terrible combination of too minimal, too large, and no customization.  Make the layout user friendly and intuitive.  The old layout was not the most intuitive, but it put many options at your fingertips.  The new layout is bad enough that I'll find a new service if it sticks around.  

Chemical_3

Another problem with it is the volume seems to go back to max between every other song or between every song and advert now. I use it with the volume on a very low setting most of the time, and it almost deafens me when it moves onto the next song suddenly 10X louder than the previous one.

μsickle

I'm really glad I'm not the only one.  This new web player feels way to 'large', it feels as if its meant for a phone or tablet screen.  When I opened spotify on my desktop (the main place I use spotify) It felt so inflated and overly blown up that I checked to make sure I hadn't left it on 200% zoom.  I have a two 27in moniters and it felt uncomfortable to have everything right in my face, It really felt like I should have been standing on the other side of the room instead of at my desk to use the player.  But its not just the fact that Its huge, they made the things that I never clicked on the largest component and then took out the usefulness of one side bar and completely took out the other one, which is the main reason I use the web player and not the desktop app.  With the old player everything was at your fingertips and you could easily navigate, search and look through music and artists while still being able to go back to anything else in an instant; much better for multitasking.  If you ask me nearly all usablility has been lost and if its not changed back or at least gets an option for an "advanced mode" that gives you the old version, than they lost themselves at least one user.

tl;dr : Its uncomfortably big, dumbed down and overall worse in pretty much everyway.

Brabbi

Just to add my voice to the consensus, the new web player is atrocious. The old one was occasionally a little glitchy, but it's a million times better that this rubbish. Where has the "add to queue" function gone?!? Why the devil would you get rid of that of all things??? What a stupid update. Do they not realise not all of us can have the desktop app at all times? Not to mention that the UI just generally feels like a step back from what it was. In addition to this, the shuffle function doesn't seem to work, a function that's been around since the dawn of the compact disc. Horrible job and update, forcing me to use internet explorer to get the old player back. Internet explorer! The  last time I opened that was to download chrome. What utter tosh.

Andrefrak

New online player looks good, slick, and more desing-ish ... but is indeed, worse than the one before.

Please think before you "upgrade". 

Work longer and better on your new versions before you put them online please. No need to rush these things, unless the previeous version really really sucked (which wasn't the case here).

Somebody did a really bad job here!

papasiggy

My work won't allow me to install spotify so I had been using the web player.  I signed up for premium two days ago and today I can't even get my music to play because of the update.  Please go back to the old player or at least allow those of us who want to use the old to still have access.

Foxtrot2288

Guess what. for those of us on chromebook we have just been *bleep*ed over by this here. spotify has become a less functional pandora. it used to be the best music player online. and for the "why dont you download the app" people. guess what? chromebook cannot do that. so to me pandora litterally just downgraded themselves from the best below barly functional just also downdraded pandora. NO ONE WANTS MINIMALISTIC DESIGN WE WANT FUNCTIONAL WORKING DESIGN WE KNOW WORKS WELL AND HAS WHAT WE WANT! WE ALL KNOW THE MINIMALISTIC BULL*BLEEP* IS NOT WHAT WE WANT!

1undercover1

Yes i agree completly. It bugs me so much trying to deal with this new interface when so many features are gone. To be honest it just seems like they are back pedeling.