Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Web Player] Bring back the old Web Player

The minimalism of the web player makes it near unusable (self.spotify)

submitted 2 minutes ago by MovkeyB

Here is a list of basic stuff that got removed:

• See the radio
  • See the queue
  • See the song length
  • see how far in the song you are

Here is stuff that got destroyed in terms of functionality.

• adding a song to a playlist is now a lot more difficult and requires moving a lot more bc it opens up a HUGE window instead of the little menu

• The volume slider is not live, its drag and drop so you can't hear the effect of the volume change in real time

Everything is HUGE and they just seem to love all the dead space and tell me pretty much nothing about whats going on.

It's atrocious. I've used it for about 10 minutes and I already despise it with a burning passion. These things I mentioned are just the ones that are just immediately obvious because I USE THEM FREQUENTLY

Updated on 2019-06-25

Hey folks, 

We're just going through a few older ideas that we haven't updated. 

Most of the functionality listed in the original post exists on the Web Player. The queue can be found in the bottom right corner near the Volume bar and you can find Radio by clicking the three dots next to any song, album or playlist. 

If you have any new ideas you'd like to see on the webplayer, feel to submit them here.

Thanks!

Comments
macraemcd

I couldn't agree more. I have spent the last few days trying to muscle through and adjust to this update, but I have grown so frustrated that I've switched over to Pandora for the first time in literally years.

Much of the previous site functionality has all but vanished (I am not even going to touch on the new aesthetic which is overwhelming, too large, and all around unappealing to the eye). I wish I could bring up the old page to offer a side by side comparison of what is now amiss, but I will attempt to highlight just some of what I am immediately missing and finding to be the most frustrating. 

Your Music

My profile now feels practically non-existent. I miss the immediate access to my recent use of the site—a home base to see my recently played artists, the link to my playlist, and tabs for the friends and artists I followed, artists I'd ever saved tracks from, and all of the songs I'd saved. Everything was available from this dashboard in an extremely intuitive, user-friendly fashion.

This new version is exhausting. You have to work to find absolutely anything, and even then things are missing.

Let's go through the new "tabs" and their flaws:

Playlists:

The icons are so large. In the previous version, once you clicked over to playlists, they showed up as a list pane with a track pane immediately to the right. You could quickly click on and see entire contents of the list without navigating away from the playlist section. Now it opens up an oversized page and you have to go back and forth to switch playlists. So much page loading. So completely ineffective.

Your Daily Mix: This is nice to see. I like this feature on the iPhone app. It's nice to see an appearance, but nestled into this update, I don't even want to use it.

Songs: The text is so large, it feels overwhelming. I feel like I have to scroll for 87 years to find anything. 

Albums: It seems that now when I click on "Albums" all I'm seeing are full albums I've saved. Not ones where I've saved portions of them. 

Artists: I absolutely hate this. I am now only able to see artists I follow, not artists I've saved tracks from. I loved being able to scroll through and see everyone I'd saved anything for. That way I could discover new songs from them or immediately just hop to their artist profile to find similar artists. "Following" and "Saved" are not the same, but here it's as if they've been merged into one (as they were on the albums tab). Really, really not happy with that.

Browse

And as for the Browse section, this really doesn't need to be a page with four separate tabs. The previous version housed all of these different areas in a single view, and you could either toggle through to see more or click off to see a deeper dive. Here, you only have the deeper dive option, and yet there seems to be nothing there when you click through.

The "You Might Also Like" only gives a handful of options with no ability to see more. The "Jump Back In" seems to be a half-baked version of the previous version's homepage. It feels empty, uninformative, and as if the data is out of date.

I personally don't think "Genres & Moods" need a whole tab to themselves. At the bottom of the old homepage was absolutely fine. They were easy to find.

The "New Releases" feels daunting. Being able to click the right and lift arrows to see more felt more manageable. And "Discover" feels empty as well.

General Grievances

I miss the old search functionality. I miss being able to click through to something new, but being able to return to the previous search by just clicking in the left hand pane. It made it incredibly easy to retrace my click path. Now all we have is our search history. I feel like I will spend much less time clicking around to discover new artists because it's practically impossible to find anything again. Especially now that you have to follow artists and albums to even find them again.

I hate that anytime you click on "View More" a new page is loaded. It feels like a lot of clicking for minimal results.

Overall, I feel discouraged by this update. I feel genuinely disappointed to have spent so much time tailoring my Spotify so carefully. I was able to quickly and easily use the site and became more and more loyal to the service every day.

Now, I have all but walked away from using it on the computer. I used to listen to it all day at work from my laptop and on my phone during my commute. I am done listening from the computer for now and now I'm terrified to update the app on my phone.

Hammusic88

With this new Online version update there needs to be a way to go back besides using the website back button. I hate selecting something that not having a way to return to where i was just browsing. Please correct this I love your site and service but this has made it close to unusable for me.

LSU-tiger

I miss the old web player too 

ithinkididthisw

REPOST THIS YA BOY GOT IT ALL FIGURED OUT LIKE I CANT TEXT ALL THAT BUT GOOD STUFF HERE:

macraemcd
Regular

I couldn't agree more. I have spent the last few days trying to muscle through and adjust to this update, but I have grown so frustrated that I've switched over to Pandora for the first time in literally years.

Much of the previous site functionality has all but vanished (I am not even going to touch on the new aesthetic which is overwhelming, too large, and all around unappealing to the eye). I wish I could bring up the old page to offer a side by side comparison of what is now amiss, but I will attempt to highlight just some of what I am immediately missing and finding to be the most frustrating. 

Your Music

My profile now feels practically non-existent. I miss the immediate access to my recent use of the site—a home base to see my recently played artists, the link to my playlist, and tabs for the friends and artists I followed, artists I'd ever saved tracks from, and all of the songs I'd saved. Everything was available from this dashboard in an extremely intuitive, user-friendly fashion.

This new version is exhausting. You have to work to find absolutely anything, and even then things are missing.

Let's go through the new "tabs" and their flaws:

Playlists:

The icons are so large. In the previous version, once you clicked over to playlists, they showed up as a list pane with a track pane immediately to the right. You could quickly click on and see entire contents of the list without navigating away from the playlist section. Now it opens up an oversized page and you have to go back and forth to switch playlists. So much page loading. So completely ineffective.

Your Daily Mix: This is nice to see. I like this feature on the iPhone app. It's nice to see an appearance, but nestled into this update, I don't even want to use it.

Songs: The text is so large, it feels overwhelming. I feel like I have to scroll for 87 years to find anything. 

Albums: It seems that now when I click on "Albums" all I'm seeing are full albums I've saved. Not ones where I've saved portions of them. 

Artists: I absolutely hate this. I am now only able to see artists I follow, not artists I've saved tracks from. I loved being able to scroll through and see everyone I'd saved anything for. That way I could discover new songs from them or immediately just hop to their artist profile to find similar artists. "Following" and "Saved" are not the same, but here it's as if they've been merged into one (as they were on the albums tab). Really, really not happy with that.

Browse

And as for the Browse section, this really doesn't need to be a page with four separate tabs. The previous version housed all of these different areas in a single view, and you could either toggle through to see more or click off to see a deeper dive. Here, you only have the deeper dive option, and yet there seems to be nothing there when you click through.

The "You Might Also Like" only gives a handful of options with no ability to see more. The "Jump Back In" seems to be a half-baked version of the previous version's homepage. It feels empty, uninformative, and as if the data is out of date.

I personally don't think "Genres & Moods" need a whole tab to themselves. At the bottom of the old homepage was absolutely fine. They were easy to find.

The "New Releases" feels daunting. Being able to click the right and lift arrows to see more felt more manageable. And "Discover" feels empty as well.

General Grievances

I miss the old search functionality. I miss being able to click through to something new, but being able to return to the previous search by just clicking in the left hand pane. It made it incredibly easy to retrace my click path. Now all we have is our search history. I feel like I will spend much less time clicking around to discover new artists because it's practically impossible to find anything again. Especially now that you have to follow artists and albums to even find them again.

I hate that anytime you click on "View More" a new page is loaded. It feels like a lot of clicking for minimal results.

Overall, I feel discouraged by this update. I feel genuinely disappointed to have spent so much time tailoring my Spotify so carefully. I was able to quickly and easily use the site and became more and more loyal to the service every day.

Now, I have all but walked away from using it on the computer. I used to listen to it all day at work from my laptop and on my phone during my commute. I am done listening from the computer for now and now I'm terrified to update the app on my phone.

da_boa1

Agreed, I don't understand why they messed with the original format, it was perfect.

aswgxf

I recently started using Spotify with the intention to possibly switch from GPM because of the student discount that would basically cut my current payment in half. (Though I would lose YouTube Red, so it wasn't an immediate decision.)  I got the new web player update shortly after starting to try out Spotify. Needless to say, even with the lower price, the downgrade in basic functionality makes it not worth the cost of losing YouTube Red and the features GPM has, so I will likely NOT be purchasing a Premium subscription unless the web player is fixed in the near future.

emilyaroslav

Since I have a chromebook, the only way I can use spotify is via the web-player. The removal of all the mentioned functionality therefore affects me greatly. It really bothers me that a company cares so little about their customers.

gomez4219

I have been using the  newly updated web player.  First I'm not a big fan of this interface.  Its not as user friendly as the previous version.  The suggested content is very minimal.  Back my biggest issues are features of the UI that were in the previous versions but are now gone.

1. Popularity rating - the old UI would show you popular songs of and artist by how mmuch they are played.  This was removed but why?  It helped find good content from artists im not familiar with.  Yea it guided me towards specific songs but it helped.  Please put it back.

2. Play this song next feature - we used to be able to right click on a song and have it play next in the queue.  What harm did theis feature cause that it was not carried over.

Not impressed with this new updated.

marksmith72

bring back my old spotify this new **bleep** is not what i am paying for i might as well have pandora if im going to have this much trouble

collegeradioman
I am heartened by the community members that are in agreement and truly
know your pain. 😥Sadly, I am confident that Spotify management doesn't pay
much attention to us especially with the prospect of an IPO lining their
pockets with jingle. 🤑 This forum is primarily one of appeasement and
deflection. 👿 A once wonderful product is now trash.👎 Unlike a former
lover, we will not part as friends. 😕 Adios Spotify, it was wonderful
while it lasted. 😶