[Your Library] Adding genre for every song

You should add genre section for every song, this would be awesome. 

Updated on 2021-03-25

Hey @Suyash,

Thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

This sounds like a repost of this idea. We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

Comments
Elena
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2021-03-25

Hey @Suyash,

Thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

This sounds like a repost of this idea. We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

Pnpriyanshu
Casual Listener

Good Idea

wroitheboy
Casual Listener

Yes to this so that we could check and match the genres that we all listen to. 

rocks-and-chaos
Visitor

Some basic genre metadata for songs and artists would be a fantastic start, but perhaps even better along those lines would be an ability to tag songs as you see fit. Pretty sure the framework is already there on the backend, Spotify just needs to let us play with it.

Benefits (for you and/or Spotify):

- Super-easy search of your library or the Spotify database based on popular (or niche) tags

- Near-frictionless tag-based personal playlist creation

- Spotify can sell even more user-generated data to capitalist propagandists (AKA advertisers) who want into your brain

Drawbacks:

- ???

- potential database bloat? 

- Spotify can will sell that data to capitalist propagandists who want into your brain

rocks-and-chaos
Visitor

To clarify, I don't particularly care if you do sell my data. I'm just trying to incentivize you guys at Spotify to actually implement this idea. 

Jendon
Regular

Eh, I mean if you find that kind of data useful, that's cool for you, but if this was ever implemented, it would be great to have the option to hide / disable it.

I honestly don't find genre info useful at all, since about half the time, it isn't really an accurate description of the music. There can be two songs that are tagged with the exact same genre (even if that genre is 5/6 words long), and sound completely different.

I'm sure there are genre / analytical tags in the background that Spotify uses for recommendations / algorithms / etc., (and this might just be my opinion) but I don't need to see it, and I don't really want to.