Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Your Library] Bring back 'hold to preview song' button

A few years ago Spotify had a feature that allowed you to hold down on a song and it would give a 10-15 second sample of the song.

I used to discover so many new/different artists as it gave me a chance to preview a song before committing to listening to the full thing.

It was later removed (I think in 2016?) and I enquired at the time and they said it was so they could implement another feature in the app using the hold down feature.

We're in 2021 now, five years later and no such feature has been introduced.

Can we please have the hold to preview feature back? It was such a good niche feature, and it gave a one up on apple music.

Updated on 2021-06-15

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
Jacob
Status changed to: Good Suggestion

Updated on 2021-05-20

Your suggestion has at least 50 votes in 3 months! Keep gathering votes. If this idea gets enough votes, Spotify will check it out and post a status update. You can read more about the idea process here.

Mihail
Status changed to: Live Idea

Updated on 2021-06-15

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

W0RLDB47ANCE

Hey there 👋,

I am missing an old feature from which I believe I've been in a A/B Test. I think it was on Android, but I am not sure. 

On long tap on a song in a list you could listen to a few seconds of the song most people liked when listening, could be around 15-30 seconds. 

It was awesome to get an impression of the song. 

Maybe you could bring it back, I liked it very much.

smapdi

YES, BRING THIS BACK!  I frequently have a playlist going and will explore an artist I discover on the playlist. I don't want to have to go find the playlist again and start it over and lose the spot it was at, but at the same time I want to sample a few of the artist's songs in case I want to follow them. The hold to preview was perfect for this. I really hate when features that aren't broken (or interfering with newer and better features) get removed for seemingly no reason.

natpizza

Thank you for suggesting this because I’ve been missing this feature like crazy! Will vote for this to come back until the end of time. 

sennoa

i miss this so much, the lack of this feature has made me to have to resort to making dedicated "skimming playlists" where i put all my recommended tracks in order to skim through them later in bulk as to avoid cluttering up my recent listens bar. the removal of this feature was really handicapping.

speaking of the recently listened bar, this issue is aggrevated because there is no way to remove accidental or skimmed listens from it, or just any song or album you didn't mean for to end up there. (again, something that used to be possible)

kamaleswar

the best part is, you not need to play the song, which dosen't let the song to be contributed to the algorithm
also, it helps to discover new music at a faster rate
i hope it comes back mainly atleast on the desktop app

Korpisah

It's 2022 Spotify! and nothing has been done yet about this tread. How many votes do we need, say and let's share this comment so people see and like it

a_dahaley

Please bring this back

Not having it affects amongst your biggest and important (for artists) users

I don’t want tracks I am checking out to replace my recently played lists, and end up having to queue so many

You also had an alternative way to preview tracks by searching specifically in the ‘add to playlist’ section but that has gone now too.  

blurredface3

i have a lot of song in a single playlist, and sometime i forget what song that i liked. this feature really help me before. please get us the feature