Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Your Library] [Filter] Add an option to sort/view music by BMP

Hello!

A useful feature for the people that go out running would be an option to view and sort/search  music based on beats per minute (BMP), either in "My Music" or overall in Spotify.

I am aware that there are different public Playlists based on bpm, but i'm still feeling a lack of possibility to view/sort music that i personally prefer by bmp.
What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Updated on 2021-06-13

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
maykbaruh

To make that clear, I wanter to share a prioritization as a roadmap:

1) Adding BPM feature of any track and make that visible as a column, which can be sortable in a playlist/search. 

2) Adding a filter for BPM with “<“ and “>” operators in order to limit track speed within playlist/play queue/playlist radio etc. which will be displayed in search results/playlists.
3) Create “Discover Weekly”, “Song Radio” or “Playlist Radio” with an option of BPM filtering, which is asked prior to Play. This feature may be switched on/off in application settings.

Think the above covers everyone’s including mines features asked regarding BPM.

Curious and cannot wait for an update!

Thanks,

Mayk

MC-Carter

Any update on this? Spotify needs to add an Edit Columns option and then have a dropdown selection of available fields such as BPM (and Genre, etc.). Simple really. Why it's taking years to get this feature in Spotify is a little bewildering. It would not clutter the interface for standard users, as they'd only see more columns if they chose to.

daMask

lol, I think this idea was first submitted for my 21st party. At the rate that Spotify seems to be working on this, it might be ready for my retirement party. I'm not holding my breath, the motivation doesn't seem to be there to release this feature.

RobLoren

I've been working on this little tool, that lets you sort by BPM, as well as a number of other Spotify Metrics, it's not exactly what you've suggested but might be worth a look: https://www.sortbytune.com

schilljo

Very good idea !

ayoudim

In order to better mix music within personal and shared playlists, I think a feature to measure BPM within a song and order them on lower/higher would help enhance the playlist creation process under the custom order selector in the right side of the playlist header.

This would make the playlist creation process more collaborative and engage users by getting them to spend more time on the app and carefully select/curate their music selections. Furthermore, this would be somewhat of a workaround to Spotify revoking 3rd party access for users.

MadmanOnWheels

My idea came about, while riding my bike, listening to one of my biker playlists, which has faster and slower songs on it. I was intending to take my time and ride easy, so some of the songs didn't fit the particular ride that I was going for. I'm suggesting that there be a quickly accessed setting (near the play and shuffle buttons), to select (and deselect) modes that would play either the slower or faster songs in playlists, splitting them into either two or three categories of speed. 

LeighJ107

This function is also super helpful for those who do dancesport which has strict tempo requirements - when teaching/ learning we use tracks with a slower tempo, when building stamina for competitions we use tracks with slightly faster tempo. Instead of manually checking BPM on a third-party app and arranging a playlist from slowest to fastest - knowing the BPM at a glance would be a game changer!