Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Your Library] Order/sort albums by release date/year

Now that the original release year should be available please add an option to the new album view to use it for sorting.

there could be options for at least:

"SORTED BY ARTIST / YEAR"

"SORTED BY ARTIST / TITLE"

"SORTED BY YEAR"

There could be some kind of subtle separator where the artist changes when listing the album covers. Also the release year should be shown in the album images.

Updated on 2018-10-05

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea!

We're setting this Idea to 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts, and we'll continue passing along your feedback to the right teams.

If we have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in with a new status.

Thanks.

Comments

I love this idea - I'd also like to be able to sort by release date in choronological and reverse chronological order. Like playing an artists discography from their earliest releases to their most recent. That complements the autoplay when you want to just let it ride....

Soundquality

I cannot believe this has not been done by Spotify. With a large Spotify library , sorting by release date is critical. 

Get it done Spotify!!!!

getaholdoftodd

Spotify, please add release year already! I'm in a band that plays covers and I want to easily sort and see which year each song came out. 

jzocchio

Please reconsider implementing this function. The sorting options currently available are very constrained.
Being able to organize albums linearly by year (as well as by other variables, yet Release Date is the one more explicitly lacking) leads to more focused and logical dives within music historically, thus favoring everyone who enjoys researching and discovering music by noticing and tracing relations (e.g. influences, "prophecies", interesting parallels, as well as general trends; etc.) that frequently show up in the lineal display of releases across decades and years.
By allowing juxtapositions that are neither completely personal (Recently Added) nor completely illogical (sort by initials), but are laid across the common thread of the passing years, this simple design option would open a lot of possibilities while implementing a very ordinary tool that a lot of people seem to miss in Spotify.

dasanayaka

I need to be able to organize my liked songs and other playlists by year. Not just albums, because I usually add single songs, not entire albums.

theteacat

Hey dasanayaka,

I maintain a Progressive Web App that allows you to sort your saved albums by year. You're welcome to make a feature request on its GitHub repo (it's open source!) and I'll get round to it when I can; likely in a month or so.

You can find it here: 

https://albumsbyyear.joshuarainbow.co.uk/

And here:

https://github.com/TheTeaCat/albums-by-year

Joe737

Spotify, you need to do this! It’s crazy... my god, hire more developers!

surveychampion

I'd rather see sort by release date, so you know what's new and what's older.

Will still sort my year, but every album/single has a release date that you can see on Android version. I would very much like to sort that way

Bryceamir

I really enjoy how under my liked songs I can sort my music by genre but I think it would be cool to sort my music by era for example music that came out in the 80s I would like to press 80s in shuffle music from that time along with other time

EY6858

So I would like to see an option so sort music by year. There’s an option to by genre but you know I like stuff to be organized like that. Yea that’s really all that needs to be said, thanks