Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Your Music] Add LOCAL FILES to Your Music

First of, I'm a huge fan of the new layout. 

But as the title says I'd like to add my own beloved local files to the "Your Music". I don't see why this shouldn't be a possibilty. This way I don't need to have one master playlist, I can just have all the music I like under "Your Music -> Songs".

Also, as suggested earlier, changing the font size could be usable to many people.

Updated on 2022-07-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We're marking this as a 'Good Idea'.

Please know your feedback is reaching the internal teams at Spotify, and they're aware of the votes around this idea. We'll continue to check out the comments here, too.

In the meantime there's a workaround we can suggest to ultimately get Local Files added to your Liked Songs on a mobile device:

First, add your personal music collection using the recently updated Local Files feature (Android/Desktop how toiOS how to) where they'll appear in Local Files. You can then add them to your playlists. Just right click > add to playlist.

Once your track is discovered on your mobile app, Once your track is discovered on your mobile app, you'll be able to tap the heart icon to add it to your Liked Songs as you would any other track. Keep in mind, that it is currently not possible to add Local Files to Liked Songs on the desktop app.

We know it's not ideal, but hope that it will be useful for some of you.

If there are any new updates, rest assured we'll let you know,

Cheers!

Comments
pianistmak2010

I could have added local files few weeks ago, however, I could no longer search or found my local music files since the last update. This stops me from using Spotify to play my own music where the library of Spotify is NOT as complete as it claims such as songs in China.

Spotify team, please add back the function of playing local music files ASAP!

WuMyster

2019 and this is still not being implemented. This should have been something that existed when Spotify was launched. 

phibao37

I just started using Spotify for 1 day and also facing to the problem in this thread.

I really want song in Local Files can be added to Liked Songs, just like other normal playlist.

Just wonder why it"s dificult to have this feature, Liked Songs is just a normal playlist with the name "Liked Songs", isn"t it?

elena-318

Hi, I was checking the support documentation

https://support.spotify.com/us/using_spotify/features/listen-to-local-files/

this does not seem to work on Mac. How do you drag and drop into the Playlist? I downloaded the app, and followed the instructions. I tried to drag and drop everywhere.  These instructions need to be more specific or limit it to just the OS that works. 

EDITED: Searching on Google, I found these instructions much easier on YouTube and they worked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0wHwxpf5Qk

What song I am looking for?

<CLIMB RACE - Ed Sheeran Vs The Police Vs Toto - Every Perfect Breath You Take Is Africa (Djs From Mars Bootle.mp3>

Kenno151

I'm really surprised this update hasn't come about yet! If this feature has been developed for the desktop version of Spotify, surely it can be developed for mobile phones and tablets, making Spotify a more convenient option for combining high-quality releases direct from the artist as well as your own downloaded music that hasn't made it onto Spotify. Being able to add local music on the go would be the icing on the cake for many of us and would definitely encourage greater use of the app as an audio hub and also attract customers to the platform with this cool feature. Even in 2020 many customers are eagerly awaiting the freedom to add local music from just a smartphone! Please add this Spotify!

Staff
Status changed to: Good idea, vote for it

Updated on 2020-11-02

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.
We're marking this as a 'Good Idea'.

Please know your feedback is reaching the internal teams at Spotify, and they're aware of the votes around this idea. We'll continue to check out the comments here, too.

In the meantime there's a workaround we can suggest to ultimately get local files added to your Liked Songs.
First, add your personal music collection as usual from your Desktop app's settings, where they'll appear in Local Files. You can then add them to your playlists. Just right click > add to playlist.
With Premium, you can toggle the download switch on your phone to transfer the local file to your mobile device. Note, that you need to be connected to the same network as your PC/Mac and have Spotify currently running on it.
Once your track is synced to your phone, you'll be able to use the mobile app to add it to your Liked Songs as you would any other and it will show up on your desktop as well.

We know it's not ideal, but hope that it will be useful for some of you.

If there are any new updates, rest assured we'll let you know.
Thanks 

jasonvelocity

Workaround does not work if you more than ~10K songs. 🤷‍

Update #1: Workaround for the workaround. 

I created a Playlist folder and broke my Local Files into four different playlists (by album).

Update #2: Joke's on me.

After creating these four playlists I attempted to play them on my phone. All four show "song not available" for all 25K songs. 😡

Screenshot 2020-12-29 080626.png

piastromusic

There are songs that are not in the Spotify catalog. So to keep all of my song in one environment I want to add them to my music library via Local Files. The problem is that in Spotify it is impossible to simultaneously search among Liked songs and Local files. Unified search has a potential to become a very useful feature for the Spotify.

P.S. During the conversation with the support guy he agreed that this could be a good feature that everyone can use. Please, vote this idea up!

rbits

That workaround does not work for albums, because playlists have about a second of silence between songs, so you can't properly listen to the album in a playlist. It's been 8 years since this was posted and it's still not fixed. Please fix this.

sdepalma

This would be a significant improvement. I would even settle for an updated view in the "Local Files" section separating Artists and Albums.