Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Your Music] Add LOCAL FILES to Your Music

First of, I'm a huge fan of the new layout. 

But as the title says I'd like to add my own beloved local files to the "Your Music". I don't see why this shouldn't be a possibilty. This way I don't need to have one master playlist, I can just have all the music I like under "Your Music -> Songs".

Also, as suggested earlier, changing the font size could be usable to many people.

Updated on 2022-07-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We're marking this as a 'Good Idea'.

Please know your feedback is reaching the internal teams at Spotify, and they're aware of the votes around this idea. We'll continue to check out the comments here, too.

In the meantime there's a workaround we can suggest to ultimately get Local Files added to your Liked Songs on a mobile device:

First, add your personal music collection using the recently updated Local Files feature (Android/Desktop how toiOS how to) where they'll appear in Local Files. You can then add them to your playlists. Just right click > add to playlist.

Once your track is discovered on your mobile app, Once your track is discovered on your mobile app, you'll be able to tap the heart icon to add it to your Liked Songs as you would any other track. Keep in mind, that it is currently not possible to add Local Files to Liked Songs on the desktop app.

We know it's not ideal, but hope that it will be useful for some of you.

If there are any new updates, rest assured we'll let you know,

Cheers!

Comments
blakhmi
I really hate the Google Music UI/UX though, which is enough to not go with
it.
ericramirez

Spotify is literally ran by bafoons. I've been making trial account under multiple emails over two years or so just so I can see if they've finally added this functionality.

It's to the point where I'm running out of emails to make trial premium accounts to check for this one simple functionality. Apple Music doesn't segregate my local files like this, and this is the only reason I cannot pay monthly for Spotify. It's PATHETIC how they *STILL* haven't added this. 

I could never switch from Apple Music to Spotify, no matter what else Spotify thinks could ever make up for it.

vladletter

Actually I'm still not a "real" Spotify user and this is a nogo for me for subscription if this feature doesn't exist 🙂

Childishforlife
You are very easily able to add local files to your music, just takes a little bit of effort.
vladletter

Actually I think there is maybe a misunderstanding.

I want to add artists on Spotify automatically based on what the source i have added locally. May be its not the subject of this page.

It doesn't exist and I don't want to spend my time doing that, it's why Im using soundcloud + my local source and no spotify for now.

Childishforlife
Spotify allows you to add a folder as a 'source`, and any music files you add to that file will be useable on Spotify (as long as you are on the same wifi network).

After they have been synced you can listen to it at any time if you have wifi/data, or have downloaded for offline play.
vladletter

This is not my need. My need is to get rid of local files and have everything synced with Spotify cloud sources.

For the artists Spotify cannot find equivalence in its database, it can skip this syncing by notifying me of course.

The goal of spotify is to go in full cloud right...

Childishforlife

To be honest I have no clue what you are trying to do.

Are you saying that you want Spotify to match all of your local file songs so you can stream them, instead of having them local?

The only point of having local songs is to have songs that Spotify does not have. Spotify doesn't have every song out there, so for songs they don't have you add them locally.  

vladletter

Ok let me rephrase it:

- I've never used spotify or never had any cloud subscription whatsoever

- I've a huge local music collection

- I'd like to go full cloud

How can I tell to Spotify to scan my local files and add to my favorites everything i had locally?

My question is not : "what is the point of having local files?"

My question is: "what is the point of going full cloud if Spotify doesn't scan my local music to know what I listen to like Songkick is doing for instance...?"

Sūrreālists

To those that have no clue: when you have a phone full of your local files, there's no point in wasting some more space (caching) and data charges to listen to stuff you already have in an app you love (let's assume it's Spotify). Switch an app every time you have an itch for a particular file, stored locally, or pay an extra via data charges?

It would only add to the funcionality if Spotify supported those 100GB of local files, and took them into account when building DB on you/your preferences in music. But Spotify has shown that they do not want to add ANYTHING to please the core user - only filthy casuals are taken care of : )