Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Your Music] Creating "Collections" of Albums

I have an idea that could make using Spotify better for people who put a lot of effort into managing their music libraries (and for everyone else as well).

Collections menu in Your LibraryCollections menu in Your Library

The idea is simple: Being able to create collections or lists of whole albums. Of course you could just add albums to regular playlists but then it just adds the songs separately, which is messy, so you can't easily see which or how many albums are there in the list or checking if there are missing songs.

You can add and remove whole albums to collections, much like songs to playlistsYou can add and remove whole albums to collections, much like songs to playlists

By having album collections we could easily see which albums are added to them and it would make it quicker to select certain albums for downloading by toggling the download button of a collection containing them. We could also re-order the list of albums quicker than re-ordering a simple playlist of consecutive albums broken down to songs.

This would also make it possible to listen to certain albums in a specific or even random order without having to add every album to the queue one by one.

You can download/un-download every album in the collection with one tap, you can also either play the albums in order or shuffle them, or even shuffle all songs within the albumsYou can download/un-download every album in the collection with one tap, you can also either play the albums in order or shuffle them, or even shuffle all songs within the albumsAdding or removing albums from collectionsAdding or removing albums from collections

collections_03.png

Updated on 2018-10-03

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea!

We're marking this idea as 'Not Right Now' for the time being, as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts, and we'll continue to pass these along to the right teams.

If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks.

Comments
davidthurman

This would be such an incredibly helpful feature for people who mainly listen via albums and have hundreds to sort through.

Anstebar

Hear, hear!

ignosticism

Almost six years later....and we still need this, spotify c'mon!

Iwantalbumcollection

I want this too

carlosgoyeneche

This should have been done from the start! Real music lovers have album collections and not only song collections, we want to be able to listen to full works from the artists that we like, so we need to be able to sort and arrange these albums in different places and not have everything thrown in just one single pile. Its ridiculous Spotify still has this petition in "Not right now". I have always need it, and I can't thing of anything more important to do for the platform right now. I dont think it would be that complicated for them to implement it either

Bobbize

Please add this - or the possibility to view the content of the playlist by albums (album covers only). In the meantime, the workaround is to create a playlist for each album, then place that playlist into a folder. Really not convenient as it creates a huge number of unnecessary playlists.

nickknaian

Putting in another plug here for the app I made since it's been a while and I've made it a bit more robust and simple: https://albumcollections.herokuapp.com/.  @Bobbize I think this would work very well for what you're asking

yannl

I actually tried your nice https://albumcollections.herokuapp.com/ app, thanks. Personally I decided to use the best of both world: I use a spotify account to discover music and playlists (Apple music sucks at it making it impossible to discover playlists that are not from your "friends" and their music recommandation is very very bad) and I use apple music to organize music. I use a nice little ios/mac app called Meows that allows me to paste the link of an a spotify playlist and play it on apple music. Then if I want to keep it I just click copy and that's it. This will most likely lower the quality of my spotify recommandations but that's ok.

I think spotify will never implement this feature anyway. They want people to listen to what they choose, for several reasons. They made of music what facebook made with social media: An endless wall of stuff that makes people crave for more and more. 

Lillac

Brilliant idea, did it ever get picked up again?

mw0

This would be extremely helpful. The ability to organize albums (and artists too, please) into folders or "collections" would be a huge UI improvement. Apple had it right with navigation in iTunes and on the iPod. Being able to easily scroll through my list of artists, albums, songs, genres, etc. made it significantly easier to manage my library and find what I wanted to listen to. And this suggestion of being able to create "collections" is even better! Spotify's folders for playlists are so close to accomplishing this, the idea just needs to be expanded beyond playlists.