Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Your Music] Creating "Collections" of Albums

I have an idea that could make using Spotify better for people who put a lot of effort into managing their music libraries (and for everyone else as well).

Collections menu in Your LibraryCollections menu in Your Library

The idea is simple: Being able to create collections or lists of whole albums. Of course you could just add albums to regular playlists but then it just adds the songs separately, which is messy, so you can't easily see which or how many albums are there in the list or checking if there are missing songs.

You can add and remove whole albums to collections, much like songs to playlistsYou can add and remove whole albums to collections, much like songs to playlists

By having album collections we could easily see which albums are added to them and it would make it quicker to select certain albums for downloading by toggling the download button of a collection containing them. We could also re-order the list of albums quicker than re-ordering a simple playlist of consecutive albums broken down to songs.

This would also make it possible to listen to certain albums in a specific or even random order without having to add every album to the queue one by one.

You can download/un-download every album in the collection with one tap, you can also either play the albums in order or shuffle them, or even shuffle all songs within the albumsYou can download/un-download every album in the collection with one tap, you can also either play the albums in order or shuffle them, or even shuffle all songs within the albumsAdding or removing albums from collectionsAdding or removing albums from collections

collections_03.png

Updated on 2018-10-03

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea!

We're marking this idea as 'Not Right Now' for the time being, as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts, and we'll continue to pass these along to the right teams.

If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks.

Comments
George97

I think one of the biggest problems with Spotify has been its incongruity with listening to music in album-format.  Many older people and those with more traditional outlooks toward music would be more open to using a streaming service if it was more compatible with organizing one's music by album.  As "Walrusman" suggested, this can be done without removing any capacity to organize by playlist.

I appreciated the major step that was taken in the direction of congruity with albums when the "play" button on albums were made to automatically start them from the beginning rather than shuffling them (which is not a conventional manner of album listening).  Continuing on this trend would help to incorporate those of us who still prefer listening to music in album format and I think can easily be done without isolating those who listen primarily to playlists.

carlosgoyeneche
You got it all right! Hopefully the kids at Spotify can listen to your
comments and do something about it. We should be able to listen and store
music the way it's supposed to be and not in a tutti fruiti kind of fashion

I too would love this feature and often come back to see if it's been implemented yet. I would leave Amazon Music and come back to Spotify Premium if this feature existed.

nunobernardo6

Does any other music streaming service have this feature? I’m willing to leave Spotify rather sooner than later if I’m able to organize my saved albums elsewhere.

The suggested collection library idea would be gamechanger indeed. 

ribas_oasis

I need this so badly!!
Come on Spotify!

sebko

Bump!

chromaticsun

This is an amazing idea and exactly what I was looking for. The only way for me to browse my saved albums is going to Your Library -> Albums. This list of saved albums spans back 5 years and is way too long for me to comfortably browse and find something I'm in the mood for all the time. Narrowing down selections to genres? Sure, add albums of the same style to a playlist and browse 3000 songs with no album art as a guide - it's very tedious as it stands right now. 

This is a perfect fix and I doubt it would be hard for Spotify to implement. They already have the library -> albums section that looks good, just let me make subfolders to organize it better

oeghafona430

Recently decided to reorganize my entire music collection. I was led to this thread after searching on the internet "a playlist for albums". I got excited when I saw something about "Collections" but realized it's not a feature yet. Please make this a feature, it'd help me a lot personally but - at the time I made this post - seems like 1,626 other people would benefit as well.

iclimbrocks

Would love to see this.

mangopit

It's been a couple years since this was first posted and it's as good an idea today as it was then. I hope Spotify can look into this!