Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Your Library] Increase maximum Songs allowed in Your Music

I feel like the maximum amount of songs allowed in one playlist, and subsequently in "Songs" playlist under the new "Collections" feature, should be more than 10,000.

Quite frankly it should be unlimited. 

We are paying for a service but limited on how many songs we are able to save? That is absurd to me.

I recently started saving all of my albums into "Collections" and got stuck at about 1/4 of the way through - 10,000 songs has been reached and I am no longer able to save any more albums.

PLEASE INCREASE MAX NUMBER OF SONGS IN COLLECTION FEATURE!!!

WHAT IS A COLLECTION IF YOU HAVE TO LIMIT YOUR TASTE???

Updated on 2020-05-26

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Idea Exchange.

We're excited to be marking this idea as implemented!
We've now removed the limit on saved items in Your Library, making it possible to save songs, and albums on Spotify to your heart's content.

As the app has changed quite a bit since this idea was submitted, please be aware that some functionality is now different. This change does not impact the limit on the number of songs in a playlist other than your Liked Songs.

For more info, check out this blog post.

Comments
rrudolphjr

@PaulMac wrote:

A guy walks into a pet shop and says 'Hello I'd like to buy a dog'

The attendant replies 'Sorry mate, what you actually want is a cat.'

Guy: 'I'm absolutely certain I want a dog '

Attendant: 'You don't have a clue what you're talking about. Cats do everything that a dog can do. And they aren't as lazy. You want a cat but you just aren't smart enough to know it.'

Thank you. That made me laugh. 🤣

@PaulMac

OrDoS

This 10000 songs limit is absurd. Paying for a service and have limited songs and albums that I can save seems like the 20th century again when we had 500 MB limited disks and a few song files only. This is truly a hit and miss from Spotify's part.

Nearlynubile

People who use the library might want to think about it as a kind of singular lumpsum playlist that the app creates with a single click on the 'Follow' or 'Save' in an artist or album. Spotify already then splits the view into My Library --> Album, or Artists, etc.

Whether a user uses...

1. More curated playlists, which require more work of clicking specific songs
2. the lumpsum playlist called Library, which requires a single click and that's why some users like it (but it is in fact a 'lazy playlist', with lazy being a positive thing in UX terms)

...the access to My LIbrary --> Albums is in fact the same in UX terms. Users can therefore easily circumvent the current limit by adding the songs to a lumpsum playlists that they themselves create. They could call it Library2, then another playlist called Library 3. Each playlist can hold 10,000 songs. This way I can have multiples of 10,000 songs with a just bit more work than the default Library, but a lot less work than more curated playlists because this type of user will just bunch any song/album to their most active lumpsum LibraryX playlist. Their Albums and Artists listings then will work as they're currently used to. 

This is why it's a UX issue. Under the hood, playlists and Library actually work the same way.

Spotify should absolutely increase the Library limit as a stopgap, but they can also change the UX to make it easy to add either multiple songs, or each song, or entire albums to Playlists. Then users who use the Album listing or Artist listing, and not theme-based Playlists of their own, will still get what they think currently is the limitation of Library limit.

Nearlynubile

@ansonfelder wrote:

https://medium.com/@anson_30041/a-message-to-spotify-limiting-my-library-is-a-big-problem-ac96ce5de4...

Some attribution for the Library2 and Library3 idea would be nice, my friend 🙂 Although Spotify should be paying attention to this general issue, yes.

vinnn

@Nearlynubile wrote:

People who use the library might want to think about it as a kind of singular lumpsum playlist that the app creates with a single click on the 'Follow' or 'Save' in an artist or album. Spotify already then splits the view into My Library --> Album, or Artists, etc.

Whether a user uses...

1. More curated playlists, which require more work of clicking specific songs
2. the lumpsum playlist called Library, which requires a single click and that's why some users like it (but it is in fact a 'lazy playlist', with lazy being a positive thing in UX terms)

...the access to My LIbrary --> Albums is in fact the same in UX terms. Users can therefore easily circumvent the current limit by adding the songs to a lumpsum playlists that they themselves create. They could call it Library2, then another playlist called Library 3. Each playlist can hold 10,000 songs. This way I can have multiples of 10,000 songs with a just bit more work than the default Library, but a lot less work than more curated playlists because this type of user will just bunch any song/album to their most active lumpsum LibraryX playlist. Their Albums and Artists listings then will work as they're currently used to. 

This is why it's a UX issue. Under the hood, playlists and Library actually work the same way.

Spotify should absolutely increase the Library limit as a stopgap, but they can also change the UX to make it easy to add either multiple songs, or each song, or entire albums to Playlists. Then users who use the Album listing or Artist listing, and not theme-based Playlists of their own, will still get what they think currently is the limitation of Library limit.

Just stop, please don't try to appear technical. UX is nothing to do with data structures and I'll repeat the library is not a playlist nor does a playlist have the functionality of the library. You've been reported for trolling the thread.
Nearlynubile
The solution mentioned in this post is helpful to users other than you with
a bee in your bonnet. Move on. And try to spend some time understanding why
technically user-created playlists or default 'Library' operate the same
way as data when used in the My Library --> Albums feature, which is what
people are in knots about. If you have something sensible to say, all ears.
So far nada.
RCBURGOS11
People forgot that something will be upgraded only when become necessary
for their comercial side.

rumors say that spotify make profit (or want to) when users listening music
trough the standard playlists (even with the discovery weekly) wich contain
music selected to present some bands or albums to the crowd.
If everyone begin to use only their custom "MyLibrary", how they will make
you listen music selected by them and make profit with their clients that
pay for it?

ansonfelder

@RCBURGOS11 wrote:
People forgot that something will be upgraded only when become necessary
for their comercial side.

rumors say that spotify make profit (or want to) when users listening music
trough the standard playlists (even with the discovery weekly) wich contain
music selected to present some bands or albums to the crowd.
If everyone begin to use only their custom "MyLibrary", how they will make
you listen music selected by them and make profit with their clients that
pay for it?

From my understanding, artist make money from the number of listens their music has, not where those listens are coming from (ie Discover Weekly, public playlists, or Your Library). Saving things to your library is more about collecting music in one central place, not discovering new music.  
RCBURGOS11
I'm referring to the profit thar Spotify make, not the artist
some like this explained in the recent news:
https://musically.com/2019/01/08/spotify-opens-discover-weekly-playlist-up-to-brand-sponsorship/