Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Your Library] Increase maximum Songs allowed in Your Music

I feel like the maximum amount of songs allowed in one playlist, and subsequently in "Songs" playlist under the new "Collections" feature, should be more than 10,000.

Quite frankly it should be unlimited. 

We are paying for a service but limited on how many songs we are able to save? That is absurd to me.

I recently started saving all of my albums into "Collections" and got stuck at about 1/4 of the way through - 10,000 songs has been reached and I am no longer able to save any more albums.

PLEASE INCREASE MAX NUMBER OF SONGS IN COLLECTION FEATURE!!!

WHAT IS A COLLECTION IF YOU HAVE TO LIMIT YOUR TASTE???

Updated on 2020-05-26

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Idea Exchange.

We're excited to be marking this idea as implemented!
We've now removed the limit on saved items in Your Library, making it possible to save songs, and albums on Spotify to your heart's content.

As the app has changed quite a bit since this idea was submitted, please be aware that some functionality is now different. This change does not impact the limit on the number of songs in a playlist other than your Liked Songs.

For more info, check out this blog post.

Comments
Nearlynubile

@RCBURGOS11 wrote:
I'm referring to the profit thar Spotify make, not the artist
some like this explained in the recent news:
https://musically.com/2019/01/08/spotify-opens-discover-weekly-playlist-up-to-brand-sponsorship/

Interesting. As a paid member I’d like to be able to skip this. The article mentions free tier active users. I don’t think this is a reason to limit the library or playlist though — those are in fact opportunities for more meaningful commercializations in the future as both represent highly engaged users.

I think these limits are due to the technical constraints present in massive AI and matching/recommendation. Having tried Apple etc, no one in the music industry comes close to spotify in the recommendation stuff, given their user base of more advanced users and a bog head start with data collection. But with the kind of funding Spotify now has, I bet this is a key CIO consideration even as we lament the library limit. The length of this thread isn’t going unnoticed. 

purnah

I enjoyed the Medium.com article. It reminds me how long I've used Spotify and been a paid subscriber - for as long as it has been available in the UK - and the points it makes are very true.

Spotify used to not have 'Your Library' and so every album I wanted to return to had to be saved as a playlist, which was a pretty poor user experience. Adding Your Library and the Save button fixed that. But as a migrator from Groove, I've rather quickly hit the limit and Spotify is after 10 years now no longer viable to me as a music service. Microsoft did a deal with Spotify and built tools to migrate the Groove music collection of its users into Spotify. They should have given a little bit of thought to how that migration would push its users closer to the 10,000 song limit.

There is a big difference between having a collection (that is a shelf of my favourite albums) and the ability to search through everything for what I want. The prefiltered nature of the collection makes it personal, reduced and relevant. Searches mean I have to remember what I liked, which now doesn't work with say the Discover Weekly playlist. Why remember when you can find a way of recording what you like (in a collection). Notice something you like in Discover Weekly, then Save it unless you've hit the limit, in which case you have to remember instead, or add it to some sort of playlist, which takes you right back to when Spotify didn't offer Your Library.

What a mess, though it does have a simple solution. Spotify increases the song limit in My Music, or I migrate to another service.

ZYKLONE

Would it be nice if programers do it, really i have almost 4.000 songs and soon i going to reach that number.

pulsedemon

Over a year since this "idea" was promoted to a "good idea." How ridiculously slow and pathetic.  I guess Spotify devs don't love music as much as the rest of us.

Edit: we should all switch to vinyl since that doesn't seem to be going anywhere.  Collecting physical music, which needs to be paid for specifically, creates a deeper appreciation for it anyway.  Spotify was a good idea, but the company could die at any moment when another one swoops in and destroys them, so **bleep** it.  Def going to die if they don't fix this**bleep**.

AnthonyGrassa

This must be done. I Pay for and love using Spotify. but I will never stop building my offline library until this issue is solved. This is a roadblock stopping a great service from being flawless

OniSer82

The 10,000 song limits is just plain ridiculous and so unbeleivable! I reached that limit in just over three months! What am I paying premium service for if I am limited at such a low amount to what I can have in my library? Really, what is the point of the 10,000 song limit? Why don't you specify out front that Spotify is a "Limited Premium" service? I would have to think that waht you have in place software and hardware wise can allow and deliver a much higher limit for those interested. You indicate that only 1% of clients arrive at the 10,000 song limit, what's the problem with allowing them a higher song limit ... a simple software switch? Don't do this to us and to yourself!!

billbobington

My mp3 player had more than that

rednblu

>>  ... Can we please try to keep things on topic?

For myself, I thank everyone posting here for giving me the hints for improving my ability to play and edit and shuffle completely in one Spotify document list across my huge Spotify library of ...

... [censored and expunged section] ...

So my thanks to all of the posters here so that I can enjoy my huge Spotify library perfectly.

PaulMac

Thanks for the update rednblu.

We're all so happy for you.

alien236

Did this happen to everyone else? A couple months ago, the search bar at the top of my Spotify playlists on the mobile app disappeared, leaving an empty space that's the perfect size for a search bar. Now, in order to use it, I have to tap on settings and scroll down and tap "Find in Playlist". Seems like an incredibly stupid change that made a simple process needlessly complicated. And it doesn't even work properly. There's an "X" that I'm supposed to be able to click to delete all the text in the search bar, but it only works maybe a third of the time, doing nothing whatsoever the rest of the time. And with some frequency, I have a song loaded up in the search bar to select as soon as the one I'm listening to is over, and then about two seconds before I'm going to select it, the app decides to refresh, getting rid of the search bar and making me do the whole stupid process again.

But I wasn't going to complain, because I thought there must be a reason for it. I assumed Spotify would never be so stupid as to do this for no reason. If, to name one hypothetical example that embodies the potential relevance to this thread, this was for some reason a necessary prerequisite to removing the 10,000 song limit, I would be ecstatic and never utter a word of complaint about the inconvenience. But that, as I said, was a couple months ago, and not only has no reason for this change been forthcoming but its glitches haven't even been fixed. Since the old version worked fine, that doesn't seem like it should be so complicated that it takes months. But nobody asked me.

Also, as long as I'm complaining, I have no way to like or Kudos the comments in this thread. I have the option in other threads, but not this one, which is the only one I really care about. What gives?