Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Your Music] Make 'Your Music' offline on Desktop

This is a follow up of the idea: Ability to make "Your Music" offline

The issue is that on the desktop client, you cannot save music from "Your Library" offline at all, you must create a playlist.

e.g.

Spotify Desktop (Your Music)

Notice that there's no way to make that particular album in "Your Music" available offline.

Yet on my Android client, I see a Download option near this album to make it available Offline:

Android (Your Music)

The only items that present such an option on the desktop client are playlists as shown below:

Desktop (Playlists)

On iTunes (Apple Music) however, I can make anything available offline on my desktop:

iTunes (My Music)

This for me is the biggest problem with Spotify and why I'm currently an Apple Music subscriber.  In general, the desktop client lags behind features on the mobile clients which are actually far better.

There are many more examples of differences that I can demonstrate, but this is the most important.

The ability to make My Music available offline on mobiles appeared more than a year ago.  Can we please have this and further differences addressed on the desktop client soon?

Thanks!

Fotis

Updated on 2021-07-07

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that this feature is now available on Desktop. You can now download not only playlists, but also albums and podcast episodes by clicking on the download icon so that it turns green Mihail_0-1625666628944.png

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
joshmosh

This idea was originally postet in 2015!!!
I dont understand why this is taking so long. Could you share some insights?
Doesn't make any sense to me. I actually feels like spotify doesnt really care about what customers think who are paying for the service and keeping this company alive. Making me really angry and thinking about switching service..

pipin31

If spotify were to add this feature I would find spotify to be much more enjoyable to use especially on my laptop.

AWOLtrooper

What the heck, Spotify?

I pay you $15 a month, and you're a company worth more than 2 billion dollars, and you can't implement a feature into your desktop client that ALREADY EXISTS IN YOUR MOBILE CLIENT.

YEARS we've been waiting for this, yet you'd rather spend money expanding into ridiculous videos? More intrusive advertising of bands I couldn't care less about on my home page? Rehashing the same UI every 3 months- "But we put a new button here, it's progress"

C'mon, wth. You become complacent and I'm tired of it. I have open-source software that has more features than you, and I'm pretty close to cancelling my membership. Instead of making your software more useful, you make scroll bars smoother and genre squares bigger. You're going backwards, and it's pathetic for a company of your sheer girth.

jbk53

The inability to make my music offline is probably a game changer for me.  I will look into Apple music before my trial period ends.

jelmer3001

What happened to the "offline" feature on desktop? 

edit: ah, it only appears for playlists, not albums. Nevermind.

karleoone
Spotify happened. So not much..
Twist9

How has this not been done yet? This is one of the most basic feature fixes imaginable. I have recently been trying to download all of my most listened to music so I can stream it from my device instead of streaming it from a server every time in order to reduce my carbon footprint. It takes a lot of energy to stream something as compared to just accessing the file locally!

I can only imagine how infuriating the lack of this feature is for users in areas where internet data is paid for by the bit instead of by bandwidth capacity. Downloading an album should be just as easy on desktop as it is on mobile! No brainer!

TomLegend
Status changed to: Good idea, vote for it

Updated on 2019-04-08

Hi everyone!

We've spoken to the team and they still think is a good idea. As there aren't any immediate plans to implement it, we'll still be keeping the status as 'Good Idea' for now. 

Please know your feedback is reaching the internal teams at Spotify, and they're aware of the votes around this idea.

If there are any updates, we'll let you know.

Thanks.

sinewave_cl

@TomLegend wrote:

Updated on 2019-04-08

Hi everyone!

We've spoken to the team and they still think is a good idea. As there aren't any immediate plans to implement it, we'll still be keeping the status as 'Good Idea' for now. 

Please know your feedback is reaching the internal teams at Spotify, and they're aware of the votes around this idea.

If there are any updates, we'll let you know.

Thanks.

Seriously?? Come on guys, this feature was asked back on 2015... almost four years later you still don't have any plan to implement it.
karleoone

This is just pathetic. Good thing that you guys are not making aeroplanes. The Boeing Max 8's would be grounded for 5 years with no immediate plans to fix them.