Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Your Library] Order/sort albums by release date/year

Now that the original release year should be available please add an option to the new album view to use it for sorting.

there could be options for at least:

"SORTED BY ARTIST / YEAR"

"SORTED BY ARTIST / TITLE"

"SORTED BY YEAR"

There could be some kind of subtle separator where the artist changes when listing the album covers. Also the release year should be shown in the album images.

Updated on 2018-10-05

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea!

We're setting this Idea to 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts, and we'll continue passing along your feedback to the right teams.

If we have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in with a new status.

Thanks.

Comments
Marco
Status changed to: Up for Votes

cutoffs

I would love this feature as well.

If possible, it would be great to add additional sorting options as well, record label,  and/or popularity or even include filters, where you could select what year you want to highlight. For example: If a user types in the year 2012 in a search box, the collection displays records from that year.  Essentially more ways to filter or highlight certain aspects.

Also,  if one is able to sort albums by year, it would be great then to have a formmatted seperation that features the year listed in a sub-heading.  Essentially giving it a space of seperation in-bewteen years.  You could also sort the albums by album title or artist within the years.

Additionaly, it would be great to include the year the album was released in the album decription section within the collection,  especially when it's not sorted by year.

One last idea, to have a sub-collection function. For users to create of album collections that corresponds to themes of their choosing.

jwc28

I agree with a lot of what cutoffs has said above. However, with regard to the Android app, the simple option to sort Albums (and Songs) within 'Your Music' by year released would be great. Surely a very simple feature to add. This would be in addition to the current sort options of:

By title

By artist

Recently added

Most played

TheLoraxis

Just my 2 cents...Spotify sorting is weak in general, and could use systemic improvements. My pet peeve is the lack of options for sorting within playlists - say by year, genre, etc. I've been waiting for years for better sort options.

JoJanssen

I agree, sorting in a greater collection of albums could be improved. Are there any comments from Spotify itself alread about this. I would like this "sort by year" function very much.

ryanevans85

The in-ability to sort by year and genre is one of the main drawbacks of the "Your Music" feature.

This is definitely a necessary feature. It would be great also, if it was possible to sift through the entire Spotify collection by year of release/popularity. One could imagine a year sorting option, and then specifying a range of popularity/plays to thin out the list. For example, I want to see all the albums released in 2010 that have between 100k and 1 mill listens. Or the albums from 2000-2010 with 1 mill listens to 5 mill. It would kind of incorporate the awesome idea this site is based on: www.besteveralbums.com

froleo

I made my own post on this, but got forwarded here. I'll just post my mockup here. 

Original post:

think users in this community generally agree that Your Music is lacking som crucial features for it to be usable for music freaks.
One sorely missed feature is the inability to sort albums by release year in Your Music, which forces me to sort them by playlist in order to get the control I want. 

I've created mockup for sorting by year, and tweaked the look of the sorting options. I also added a button to shuffle play.
Note: Every part of Your Music on desktop should have it's own search options, like on mobile.

Mockup (albums are not sorted by actual release year here, but you get the point)
http://i.imgur.com/dyI8ttl.jpg

year.jpg  

tylerkarch

This is something Spotify should really have had from the get go. To be able to sort songs by the year they were released should be a main function of any music player. For someone like me it means when I put spotify on shuffle i don't have my taste in 50's rock and roll mixed in with my stoner rock and Dance music taste but at the moment the only way to do so is to painstakingly make them into seperate playlists manually. A shuffle by decade option or even some playlist filtering to do so would make spotify excellent

JuustMeKB

Please do this Spotify. I have so many albums saved, but sometimes I want to listen to current year ones.