Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Your Library] Order/sort albums by release date/year

Now that the original release year should be available please add an option to the new album view to use it for sorting.

there could be options for at least:

"SORTED BY ARTIST / YEAR"

"SORTED BY ARTIST / TITLE"

"SORTED BY YEAR"

There could be some kind of subtle separator where the artist changes when listing the album covers. Also the release year should be shown in the album images.

Updated on 2018-10-05

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea!

We're setting this Idea to 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts, and we'll continue passing along your feedback to the right teams.

If we have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in with a new status.

Thanks.

Comments
leonhonggo

I agree! I am a big nerd when it comes to release dates... and I wonder why spotify hasn't been able to do so.. You are never a true music collector if you can't sort your release dates of your songs!

Nufane

I'd love it to go even so far as to let you resort albums on an Artists page by oldest to newest.  Sometimes I don't want to pull it all into my music, but DO want to visit an artists page and listen to their musical growth by listening to their albums from oldest to newest.

joaoscalett

The sorting by year in chronological order has been requested 5 years ago: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Artist-s-Albums-Reversed-Sorting-Feature/idi-p/14875

DaveUK100

I honestly can't believe this is even a feature request that we have to vote for. The ability to sort music by release date is an absolute necessity for me. I'm actually switching to Spotify (or was) from another popular music service, and this lack of capability is making me think twice about this switch 😞 

brietman

Is it just me or does it seems that not that many people want this feature?  In comparison 240 people is not that much. Therefore this feature is not going to happen.  Are there other services, besides Apple's one, that does provide this simple feature?

But I am still curious, from Spotify's point of view, why this feature is this difficullt?

janjandamdam
The number of ‘comments’ may be small in this thread, but there are other threads on this topic.

If the number of complaints is what justifies which stupidly simple feature Spotify work on next, then the writing is on the wall.

Lets cut to the chase here, the fact Spotify even have a complaints section for their app pretty much sais it all.
DaveUK100

Groove has this feature. Very handy.

robmif76

Ridiculous how this hasn't been implemented yet. 

Also, if you go into a particular artist, you would expect to see a list of collapsed albums and not a fully expanded album and track list. Try looking up a particular album for an artist like the Rolling Stones and you'll understand the grief. Appl & Google have this already and is a pretty basic feature.

I love this idea!

This need to be done.

TrueHeresy

Just trying to add another voice to the people saying this really should have already happened. It's the primary way I organised my music before switching to Spotify for the recommendations. Now I find an artist and have no idea the order of their discography, which for me is one of the things I love to see and learn about an artist/band.