Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
_imaxi_
how can i test "spotty"? is there a possibilty to subscribe the beta-test?
jmkeuning

@J4WA wrote:
How does no one understand this?? Spotify is a direct competitor to Apple for streaming music services and its Apple Music subscription. They're trying to gain market share from Spotify by not allowing them to develop an app compatible with Apple Watch for this exact purpose. It's that simple. Apple wants to build their Music community by stealing subscribers away from Spotify and this helps them to accomplish that. Apple wins. End of story. Everyone stop crying. Learn how business works and get over it.

Ummmm, if you were even close to being correct, Apple would not allow Spotify on iphones and ipads.

cle_aaron

Yes I agree. Just got mine today and was very discouraged by this. But I deleted music app. If you have now playing docked and open Spotify on your phone and start playing a playlist, you can control Spotify basic controls. Can't switch playlists/choose songs or change between shuffle and next, but set your phone to the playlist you want and shuffle or not and you are good to go.

rowdt
Unless you want to save playlists for offline playback. This is not possible with Spotify and it's the main reason people are complaining.
rowdt
Unless you want to save playlists for offline playback. This is not possible with Spotify and it's the main reason people are complaining.
hihi07

If that were all there is to it, Apple wouldnt allow Spotify on their iPhones either. Quit being so rude.

victorvz

Check out spotty !!!

dob999

How? It's not available yet.

victorvz
it will be in the next weeks
Joeymendoza
Apple could stop them but it would raise an Anti Trust case with the DOJ and you don't want government getting involved at all.

I can see Spotify being a competitor they have been around a lot longer overall.

Spotify lacks the following in no order.

Keyboard support in iOS.
Apple Watch.
Apple TV app.

Once they do that they will corner the market.