Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
melissav1395
Wow I cannot believe still no sign or word about an app compatible w/ Apple Watch. Beyond disappointed and frustrated to hear no word of this yet. please spotify do this for your loyal customers.
gante

Another premium customer ready to jump to Apple music if you don't release an App for the watch (or let snowy do your job) in the next few weeks.

Sébastien2
I don't understand how Spotify could at the same time have such good customer stats without thinking about them, without any communication about the "No AW App" gate. It's just not understandable for all of us.
Really thinking about going to Apple Music, I rely on SNOWY and hope it will be there in a few weeks or I will leave.
stefanra

Nice 👍

jpejl

I have just subscribed last week to Apple Music, will test it for a few weeks and then if happy, I will drop Spotify (assuming they don't do anything on their side to solve this problem).

So far apple music is working really good on the apple watch with my air pods when I go for a run!

Joeymendoza
Per idownload blog it's coming from Spotify already. The original developer of Snowy posted this today. So most of the work is done but now it will be a part of Spotify's app and might get better API calls now.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2017/04/12/snowy-apple-watch-spotify-app/

"I’m thrilled to announce that I’ll be working closely with Spotify to bring Snowy to the Apple Watch as part of an official Spotify iOS app. Spotify’s powerful iOS SDK made it possible to develop Snowy, but I can’t wait to take things to the next level with the expertise and tools available at Spotify."

While I can’t give any estimates as to when it’ll be available, you can rest assured that a Spotify Apple Watch companion app is in the pipeline.
jimster1
Who accepted this as solution? A vague hope of something that is in the works to be released at some unspecified time in the future , is not a solition.
Joeymendoza

This is not a vague hope. The developer was getting ready to release this as a third party app. Beta Testers had copies already in test but Spotify Legal got involved. From the sounds of it, the app has been acquired and this will make it even better now that the developer will have access to the special Spotify API's.

You can see what it looks like here.

https://snowy.rocks/

9to5 Mac did a hands-on demo already. So this is a real and should be coming soon.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/02/06/spotty-offline-spotify-app-playback-apple-watch/

I accepted it as a solution because this is the real thing coming from Spotify and not a vague hope.

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 11.49.04 AM.png
dkmrcw
This isn't a solution until Spotify announce it. Please withdraw your 'solution'.
AppleEducate

See Below.