Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
AppleEducate

I know this isnt a perfect solution, but if you are listening to Spotify on your Mac/PC and you want to control it from your Apple Watch at first you cannot control the music from your watch.

Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 9.48.48 AM.png

What you need to do is open Spotify on your phone and choose the option "Devices Avaliable" and hit "Continue" to continue listening on your Mac/PC.

IMG_0455.PNG

This will let you have all the functions of the music control app on the Apple watch app.

IMG_0456.PNG

One of my favorite features of this, is the ability to use the dial on the watch for volume control. 

Devices: Apple Watch 42mm Series 1 WatchOS 3.2, iPhone 6S Plus 64GB Gold iOS 10.3.1, MacBook Pro Retina (15-inch, Mid 2012) i7 16GB Ram, 512 SSD, Nvidia 650M MacOS 10.12.4, iCloud: iOS Developer Account

jimster1
This does not help the issue when leaving your phoneat home and you want to play music from the watch to the headset. Not the solution!
gante

With all due respect:

A solution should not be accepted until you can download an app for the AW and you can save songs to the watch's memory so you can listen to them without your phone being close. Unless it is an official announcement (like in Spotify's blog) with a concrete date, this is just a tease. Right now trying Apple Music until you fix this or I decide to switch to them.

Joeymendoza

Obviously, nobody will accept this great news so I won't post any updates about this going forward.

If you want a solution now this app does it but you need to pay for it. It rips music from Spotify then creates a playlist for you in iTunes then you can sync for offline use.

https://imusic.aimersoft.com/purchase/buy-imusic-for-mac.html

gante

I apologize if I sounded too harsh. My beef is with Spotify for not allowing an independent developer to post an app that solved the issue without having a solution on their own. I'm already paying them for the service of allowing me to download songs to listen offline on my phone and enjoying an ad free experience and I value that a lot. Honestly I would have more patience if nobody had worked on a solution faster than Spotify only to see him being stopped. If you are already paying Spotify I didn't see any wrong with the spotty/snowy app allowing you to download songs. 

Obviously I am not paying for a third app to rip the songs and I can pay Apple Music to download the songs I want to the watch, but I like Spotify and I am willing to be loyal to them. But it seems we are going to wait a few months (rather than a few weeks given the vagueness of the announcement) for a solution that you know already existed in spotty.

Also I admit I am not familiar with Apple to know if there is any valid reason why Spotify was caught unprepared for this feature. But in any case I would appreciate any concrete and public information from them directly rather than having to resort to rumors and third party blog posts.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to post the information about the incoming solution. Hopefully it will be available soon and to be honest this is a very example of a first world problem.

tnyeso
hardy84

Okey, so it's happening. Two questions:

1. When will it be out?

2. Will I be able to play offline music on the Watch without the phone present, like with iTunes? I'm staying with iTunes until this is possible.

tnyeso
Watch the link that I have posted above; but short:

1. dont know (soon)

2. yes.
Salsawala
I'm planning to buy the iwatch but I don't mind not having offline Spotify playlists on my watch. I have been and still am a Spotify premium customer. Can I control my Spotify through my watch? Like browse through playlist, queue songs etc. If yes which external app will allow me to do so, also if u could please share link to app. Thanks in advance 🙂
tonyelo
So far you cannot control Spotify. The best I managed to do was to use Siri to ask for next song . However it stopped working a few weeks ago.